Has anyone upgraded their non-tow package hitch? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone upgraded their non-tow package hitch?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
My 06 has the smaller hitch receiver. Has anybody ever replaced it with the larger 2"(?) hitch that comes with the tow package?

Since its from the factory, i'm assuming its welded on? Do they make aftermarket or replacements for the stock location that bolt in?

On my commute to work, I have saw numerous 4th gens with the small stock hitch, but with an aftermarket 2" hitch under it. I think that looks terrible, plus it cuts down on your ground clearance in the back for off roading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to go with the under hitch hitch on my old '04. it looked bad, but it was what I had to do to tow the camper. My '08 has the two inch where it belongs. had to lower the ball to get things level again

I have a 2 inch Class III/IV Hidden Hitch on my '98 with the Tow Pkg. The Ex didn't come factory with a hitch/receiver but it was wired. The HH installed perfectly right to the frame rails no problems, electricals plugged right in. Although seldom tow anything other than light loads to the dump, I have yanked a few friends boats up/down the ramp. If your existing hitch is a bolt on, I would think that you could find an aftermarket 2" and swap it out.
If its welded, check to see if there are pre-drilled holes for an aftermarket 2" hitch, then you could cut the smaller out and install the 2". Good luck!

I asked a few hitch places if they would fab something for me that removes the 1 1/4" and replace it with the 2" and they all said no due to liability. Unless you have a fab shop make you something (cut out the 1 1/4"), unfortunately you'll have to get the factory 2" under the 1 1/4...

I have a Reese 2" mounted right under mine bought it that way , but it looks as if they welded it into the factory one than shot bolts through also

My 08 came with the smaller hitch welded to the frame. When I lifted my explorer I cut the hitch off and got the 2 inch bolt on style from a 3rd Gen at a junk yard. I had to spread the mounts a half inch or so because my frame is wider. I had to drill 2 holes in the frame on each side but I flipped mine over so it may line up when installed tow hook side down.

Back