Has anyone used LEDs in the instrument cluster on a 2nd Gen XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone used LEDs in the instrument cluster on a 2nd Gen XLT?

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
One of my instrument cluster bulbs went out last night (near the gas gauge - I guess the X was embarassed about the mileage :D ) so I'm going to have to replace it. I did some searching and found some good instructions as well as some talk about using LEDs behind it.

Has anyone ever used the LEDs in the instrument cluster? A few people spoke about it but didn't seem that anyone actually did it. On my 2000 XLT it has a green color on the cluster which is probably filtered but I'm thinking if I use white LEDs at least my needles won't have a yellowish color.

From what people said the cluster bulbs are 194 but that was for earlier years. Can anyone confirm this on a 2nd gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't heard about using LEDs...might look cool. I recently replaced a #194 for the gas gauge. Took awhile to get to the back of the instrument cluster on my '97...lots of trim, etc. to remove, including the radio. Re LEDs: would they simply fit into the existing slot used by the 194, or do you have to use some kind of adapter? Good luck.

There are LED's with the 194 wedgebulb base so you can replace them easily.

Yea the ones I was looking at were these:

Single LED Wedge Base Bulbs

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. They have two, one single one and one 4-in-one. However, the 4-in-one is a very narrow pattern. The singles are not very bright.

I've always like those festoon bulbs.

Why would you change to LED? The color wouldn't change as it's part of the overlay.

aint they a little bright to use in the cluster...may go blind from those things...lol

huskyfan23 said:
I've always like those festoon bulbs.

Why would you change to LED? The color wouldn't change as it's part of the overlay.

I don't expect the green to change, but I was hoping the needles would be whiter than they are now. Now they are a yellowish color that is typical from an incandecent bulb. I was thinking about the PIAA bulbs but they are too much $$$.

edit: having said that I don't know if the needle lights are the same as the 194s I want to replace?

LOGJOCKY said:
aint they a little bright to use in the cluster...may go blind from those things...lol

Some LEDs are pretty bright, these ones aren't. Also, since it would be covered by the gauge overlay I don't think much more light would pass through than from a regular bulb. I'm going to take it apart next week and I'll give it a try.

I heard the PIAA can get too hot and melt the plastic..

huskyfan23 said:
I heard the PIAA can get too hot and melt the plastic..

Ack! They have just been crossed off my list offically. I'm hoping if I replace all the bulbs with new 194s that I'll get a whiter light. After all, these are 5 years old.

Back