have a list of problems, 95 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

have a list of problems, 95 explorer

fishmonster13

Reaction score
City, State
columbia,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 explorer xlt
i have a 95 explorer xlt 4.0 4wd
first one is rough idle when i go to start when the engine is hot, possible head gasket leak?
next is it lurches or the engine is stumbling , only notice it on the highway , usually going up hill, maybe the trans slipping?
next is the AC will blow out the dash vents then blows out the defrost, vacuum leak? where would i start looking?
and the last one is the radio, it has an aftermarket stereo in it , it has power but no sound? any help would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a 95 explorer xlt 4.0 4wd
first one is rough idle when i go to start when the engine is hot, possible head gasket leak?
next is it lurches or the engine is stumbling , only notice it on the highway , usually going up hill, maybe the trans slipping?
next is the AC will blow out the dash vents then blows out the defrost, vacuum leak? where would i start looking?
and the last one is the radio, it has an aftermarket stereo in it , it has power but no sound? any help would be appreciated
First thing would be have the codes read at an auto parts store.
Speakers not hooked up on the stereo.

Check the oil,is there water in it or milky looking?
Make sure the maf is connected.
A/C vents connected wrong or vents not working correct.

These are all just guesses, Have the codes read.

guess i should have mentioned, the cel is not on and no codes. and i am pretty sure the problem with the AC is a vacuum leak causing it to change , just trying to see if someone knows where to begin to look for a it

guess i should have mentioned, the cel is not on and no codes. and i am pretty sure the problem with the AC is a vacuum leak causing it to change , just trying to see if someone knows where to begin to look for a it
So you scanned the car and found no codes? Or you just think there is no codes because there is no CEL? Have you checked the plug wire and plug to be sure they are not loose? I know nothing about the A/C but you should be able to check all the Vacuum lines.

If the AC air flow changes to defrost when you accelerate, look for a problem with the vacuum reservoir. It is a softball size plastic sphere inside the passenger side wheel well; have to remove wheel well liner to see it.

Add'l info: Sphere is at front of wheel well.

If the AC air flow changes to defrost when you accelerate, look for a problem with the vacuum reservoir. It is a softball size plastic sphere inside the passenger side wheel well; have to remove wheel well liner to see it.

thank you, that seems to be what it is doing.

Back