Have any V8 owners had to replace their timing chain tensioners yet? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have any V8 owners had to replace their timing chain tensioners yet?

mrboyle

I Drive By Brail
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
Just curious if anyone has had to have this done yet? A friend asked me to look at an '02 for her with 57K on it and uppon start up, when free reving the engine and under acceleration there is a distinct sound of timing chain rattle. I did a search and there have been several people ask about similar issues, but no one said weither they got it fixed or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

53k on our '02 4.6 with no sign of that. I don't drive it all the time to know all of the traits. But nothing that would lead me to believe of cam chain problems. The 4.6 is a proven reliable motor. I can't see it needing major service for quite a while.

i recently purchased an 03 v-8 with almost 50,000 and they had been changed in it -- on my test drive i snooped in glove box and found papers that said motor had been blown -- the salesman ran serial number through ford and it came back that motor had timing tensioners case and chain changed -- not blown up

would this sound like a heat shield type rattle only when accelerating? Mine only does it when it has a little load on it and accelerating. I have 58k on it

would this sound like a heat shield type rattle only when accelerating? Mine only does it when it has a little load on it and accelerating. I have 58k on it

It is a similar sound, but a lot deeper tone. The noise you might be experiecing is referred to as pinging (pre-ignition). If you are running standard unleaded try running mid grade or premium and see if it goes away.

Well, brought the X to the dealer yesterday. Turns out the tranny threw up the white flag. they really dont know what went wrong without pulling apart but the problem is in 1st and second gear. It was a rattle i thought was timng chain tensioners. They said it would make the same noise.

Back