have you ever seen red smoke?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

have you ever seen red smoke??

Alright... I guess it time to update you all.

As most of you know, a few of us went to The Silver Lake Sand Dunes up here near Ludington, MI last Sunday. The trip was almost canceled because my X was in the tranny shop, but I pushed them to get it done by the end of the week, and they did. They replaced a cracked flywheel and a torque converter (for about $500). So I picked up the explorer on Friday night and gave her the once over, making sure 4 high would engage, etc... On Saturday I drove to stay at some friends at Grand Valley State Univerity. On the way there the truck was perfect.

Sunday started out great.... a 1 hour drive from Grand Valley State Universtiy to the ORV park. When we got there, we bought our flags and permits, aired down the tires and got ready for a day of fun. As soon as we ventured into the park, I had problem number 1- NO 4x4 HIGH. Well... after fooling around with it and starting it in 4 high, it engaged... problem solved. We cruised around, took some pics of our trucks and the views.
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
Mine is the black one
Dead Link Removed

So all is well. We drove around for about 1.5 hours testing the explorers and watching other people (including a stock durango that still amazes me). After about 2 hours we line up at the big hill to see if we should take a shot at it. There are some massive rigs out there, so it was fun to just sit and watch (mind you I didn't turn off the explorer to make sure I wouldn't lose 4 high).
Dead Link Removed
This was a AWD stock X that made it first time. It was the same part of the hill that numerous built pickups struggled on. Right after him, a stock 2002 X made it up too.... needless to say, they were both impressive
Dead Link Removed
This toyo never made it.

So we decided to wait, drive around a little and maybe give the big hill a shot later. So I drove off and charged up a smaller hill to take a look around. As soon as I get there, Travis and Mike stop me and tell me that I have red tranny fluid leaking out everywhere. :frustrate So I get out, take a look... sure enough. So I figure, well, maybe I can at least make it out of the park and to the parking lot to where we can take a better look (and avoid a tow). I get about half way to the park exit (still about 1000 yards away and all I see is red smoke coming into the cabin and spilling out of the hood (sorry no picks of that :rolleyes: ) So I stopped and shut the X off. At this point there is no way I am going to start her again and try to drive off. So... one person stops to help in a late 60's Bronco with a fiberglass tub and perfectly redone. He doesn't have any traction and can't even budge me out of the sand (plus I was on a slight incline). Next try...a stock F-150. This time he pulls me down to the bottom of the hill so we can get a running start before the incline and soft sand. He makes it about to where I originally was and digs himself a nice hole. His buddy has a Toyota T100 and decides he's going to give it a shot....so he pulls me back down to the bottom of the hill so he can get an even bigger running start.
Dead Link Removed
Pulling me down....
Dead Link Removed
And now at the bottom

So we get a huge running start, I'm guessing about 30-35 mph (I don't know bc the X is off) and he keeps it punched all the way up the hill
Dead Link Removed
And this time, we make it.
Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed
So he pulls me to the parking lot and we take a look. At this point we decide to go have lunch, buy some tranny fluid, and just let her cool down for a while. On the way out, someone we drove by says "OMG... it's a toyota pulling a Ford!!" :mad: Now that was just adding insult to injury.

We come back about 1 hour later and I crawl under to take a look. It doesn't look too bad, nothing is out of place and I don't see any loose lines (and it has stopped leaking). So we start to dump some tranny fluid in.... 1 quart, no leaking, 2 quarts...sames. After about 4.5 quarts the tranny is overflowing with fluid. So we start it up.... everything seems to be fine. Put it in gear, still good. Roll a few feet forwards, backwards, still good. So then I take it on the road and floor it. Max the tach through the first 3 gears (it was 25 speed limit and was a short road) and absolutley perfect. Then I decide it was time to head home (a 3 hour tour). The X makes it the whole way back. The only problem was that is slipped 3 times shifting into 3rd and downshifts hard into 1st. But overall, I'm just glad to make it home.

So the next day we take it to the trany shop. They take a look at it and says due to high heat.... etc it has to be rebuild at $1500 (the same shop I had $500 worth of work doen 3 days prior). We take it another shop... same thing. As most of you know, I work at the Ford Livonia Tranny Plant, so right now I am in the process of tracking down a factory rebuilt and get that swapped in (for a cheap price and less headaches). So that is where I stand now... back to driving the 'rents SC Park Avenue and just praying that I can find a factory rebuild.

By the way... this will be my Explorer's 3rd tranny. It was rebuilt around 75K and is now at 100K miles.... this time I am going with a tranny cooler as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had the same thing happen to me at Moab. While on the Top of the World trail my tranny started to overheat and leak some. We stopped and gave it a look. Saw a small but steady stream coming out. I let it sit for a good hour while I rode with peter on the rest of the trail, and came back for it after it cooled. We added some fluid and took it easy down the hill. Made it home no problem. Had to replace all the fluid though.

Thank you again Brett and crew for your help!! :)

Oh jeeze! No warentee on that tranny?! Man that sux. I would complain to the place who did it last time. tranny should last more then 25K. Oh well, i am really sorry to hear that news and feel really bad for ya. If you want the same tranny cooler I have it is the B&M 24,000 GVW cooler. Make sure you get the one with the installation kit included. don't get the "racing model" or it won't come wiht any of the stuff to install it. Mine is mounted on driver's side so the hoses just go around and connect up on the other side of radiator.

I also have high temp. synthetic Amsoil tranny fluid in mine. I dunno if you want to go to that extent, but so far it's been fine.

If you want to take a look at my cooler installation let me know next time you come out here. the cooler was like $50.

Again sorry to hear the bad news.

Don't feel bad, Silver Lake claimed four trannies in my BII, on on my fifth tranny, but now its my trail truck --> it really sucks when its your daily driver!!! I feel your pain, good luck on the search for the factory re-build it probably your best bet... that's what finely solved my problem, 'cept I found mine in a bone yard (used) for about 6 bills. If you guys plan to go back in the spring, I'd be interested in wheel'in w/ ya, but I might have to bring the BII, Silver is no fun in four wheel (I've got Auto4x4 in my Explorer).

Ouch!! Damn Bill, sorry to hear that. I'm glad you made it home though. And, as I tell everyone else with tranny horror stories, "at least you didn't blow it in South Central LA like I did."

Anyway, let me know if you want to get together for dinner this week before you leave Ann Arbor.

peace

Mike

Originally posted by Mike 92 XLT

Anyway, let me know if you want to get together for dinner this week before you leave Ann Arbor.

mmmmm... I could definetly use some Jimmy Johns right about now....

that seriously sucks. sorry to hear about that man. got a question for you though. where is the tow strap connected to on your front? did you mount tow hooks? just wondering because i have a 97 and it's practically the same design. thanks.

Originally posted by Michigander

As most of you know, I work at the Ford Livonia Tranny Plant........
By the way... this will be my Explorer's 3rd tranny.

Interesting coincidence?????:D :eek: ;)

Re: Re: have you ever seen red smoke??

Originally posted by RangerX

Interesting coincidence?????:D :eek: ;)

Actually the 95, 96 Ford A4LD was built in France... I'm not sure why, but it was.

Blue Steel.... I have tow hooks that I custom mounted. I basically used bar stock metal for spacers between the hook and the frame, that way I could clear the bumber. For some bettter pics, look at my website in my sig... I have a diagram in there.

mmmmmm.....Jimmy Johns

I don't usually get on the board but once a day or so, so gimme a call if you want to go.

peace

Mike

i just ordered a new tranny cooler from summit racing yesterday. it should be here tomorrow or friday. anyways it was $50 and should help my fairly new tranny (has about 20k on it) last a bit longer. the tranny was replaced at 63k according to the numbers written on the top of it by the previous owner, and it seems to shift pretty good!

Hey im not 100% sure that i have a tranny cooler already because i have the towing package on my 97 x awd. I know i have a oil cooler for the engine. Anyway for me to better find out...thanks....and sorry about hearing that with you tranny...next time you guys go up i might be up for it...mine stock with some BFG's on it...

That looks more like a Tacoma than a T100...

that sucks about the tranny.
but it looks like a run place to go to.
i wish i knew of a place like that closer to me.
can a stock explorer do that?

Xploder97,
If you want to go to the dunes you can join us on oct. 13th (next saturday) or I am going again Oct. 27 (last saturday of month) Let me know if your interested. Also The trannys on the V-8 AWD trucks is tougher then the one the V-6 have and I haven't seen much about those going out. so i don't know if you need to worry. A tranny cooler would not hurt anyway.

leejen,
Yeah a stock explorer can do fairly well. There was a 98 V-8 AWD that did way better then I thought it would and then a 2002 stock explorer did the same hill!

If you guys end up going next spring I might go. I just dont trust my tranny with 137k original miles.

Explorer_2196:

You're in Ann Arbor too? Do you go to U of M? Let me know if you want to try and get together one night for dinner or something.

peace

Mike

Explorer_2126,
Ok, i understand that. I will post in the spring when we plan a run then. I think I'll try to make at least 4 runs up there before school's out this spring. Keep an eye out for the posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't see the pics?

Back