Have you installed Aftermarket Headlights? Share your feedback here! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Have you installed Aftermarket Headlights? Share your feedback here!

Give an honest review of your experience/install/quality, with the brand/style replacement headlight you installed.

Please state your year & model for reference.

If you have a link to the merchant, install, or personal video of the install to share, please add that as well.

Pictures say a thousand words they say, so if you have some, let us see them!

Explorer Forum Rating of 1-5, 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest:

Install- easy to hard
Looks- poor to excellent
Price- low to high
Quality- low to high

Would you refer them to someone else, or warn them against?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have replaced the Explorer headlights, but they were with OEM units I had from the JY. I have a complete set of all head and tail lamp assemblies stored for next time I need them.

The aftermarket units I get every 3-5 years for the Silverado that is parked outside vary upon price and if they say they are OEM replacements. I usually get something off eBay in the $100.00 range when the lenses start to look cloudy. I tried repairing the assemblies, but for the money it just wasn't worth the hours it took. Last set took me about an hour total start to finish. The Explorer took about twice as long, but was not difficult, just had to remove more stuff to get to the back of the assemblies.

For me its all about OEM looks and price. None of them seem to last if exposed to the elements. I was looking at these for price and looks. I am not a fan of clear corners, HID's, or any of that stuff but mine is a old school looking trail rig.
Headlight Kit For 1989-1992 Ford Ranger Left and Right 6pc | eBay

Also, I would like to hear if anyone has a source for 4th gen Mountaineer headlights. I have searched and only found used or rather expensive OEM parts.

Your best bet with the aftermarket will be to seek out CAPA certified parts, which means they have been tested for their material properties, weld integrity, fit and finish and corrosion where applicable. They will not be available for every application, but if they are, they will be the closest thing to OEM without the OE price tag.

I am planning to install an aftermarket headlight as well, but I'm not sure which one to purchase.

Replaced my EX 2007 XLT headlight to chinese aftermarket black bezel ones a year ago.purchased in Carid.
Brand name "Spyder"..DOT SAE certified.lasted about a year only (bad uv coat,headlamp reflector cap fall apart,bad mousture sealant)..now replaced by brand new oem headlights.

Such

Ford Explorer II 4.0 SOHC 2000'

My OEM lights were faded and yellowed so I ordered clear lights from amazon and good quality lens for H1 bulbs.
1) Installation of assemblies was not sa easy because mounting plastic points were slightly different than OEM, so I swapped some of OEM mounts
2) Unglueing lamps was not so easy too - there was gray tough glue which couldn't be baked in oven or heat gun. All in all I had to cut through plastic.
3) Mounting lens was the easiest part due to quick mounts for H4 bulb with adapter for H1 in lens
4) I have H1 led bulbs now

Am I satisfied? Yes, the light quality is good, range is good. But I am not satisfied with beam lights - as I have H1 bulb there is no more extra light as in H4, only shutter comes up. But it is not big issue as I have additional long range offroad lights (fully street legal) connected to beam lights.

_nc_ohc=PjqD7fQkw38AX-NdvEZ&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=fUNZyG5ehTcAX_D2QtS&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=XTLY0z6IQm4AX-EeeoH&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=XqFS4HvAbHwAX_f4lm5&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.jpg

Ford Explorer II 4.0 SOHC 2000'

My OEM lights were faded and yellowed so I ordered clear lights from amazon and good quality lens for H1 bulbs.
1) Installation of assemblies was not sa easy because mounting plastic points were slightly different than OEM, so I swapped some of OEM mounts
2) Unglueing lamps was not so easy too - there was gray tough glue which couldn't be baked in oven or heat gun. All in all I had to cut through plastic.
3) Mounting lens was the easiest part due to quick mounts for H4 bulb with adapter for H1 in lens
4) I have H1 led bulbs now

Am I satisfied? Yes, the light quality is good, range is good. But I am not satisfied with beam lights - as I have H1 bulb there is no more extra light as in H4, only shutter comes up. But it is not big issue as I have additional long range offroad lights (fully street legal) connected to beam lights.

View attachment 323828

Did something similar on my gen 3 using these projectors.
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY (2) Mini 2.5-Inch H1 Bi-Xenon Headlamp Projector Lens With Shroud Compatible With Headlight Retrofit DIY: Automotive

2002 Explorer
1. Installation is super easy. Housings can often be pried apart without baking. After removing the internal bulb cap/reflector you will have to grind or cut down the little nub it leaves. Dont cut too much as it can serve to support the projector.

2. Looks nearly stock or at least looks like it could be OE.

3. $35ish for the projectors and however much the LED/Xenon bulbs and ballasts cost.

4. The projector seems pretty well built and has a very nice cutoff line. I didnt notice a lot of light pollution.

Mine are by a company named Anzo, not the greatest quality of plastic mounts, busted one on each headlight so far, working on a new redneck mount. But I mean they look great otherwise! Pricing, well...not exactly cheap, almost $300 (when I bought them at the beginning of the year, they were way cheaper), but overall works great. She's a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT

20210730_141407.jpg

20210730_125636.jpg

20210730_125643.jpg

Replaced my EX 2007 XLT headlight to chinese aftermarket black bezel ones a year ago.purchased in Carid.
Brand name "Spyder"..DOT SAE certified.lasted about a year only (bad uv coat,headlamp reflector cap fall apart,bad mousture sealant)..now replaced by brand new oem headlights.

Such
IMG-20210820-WA0043.jpeg

IMG-20210820-WA0045.jpeg

Mine are by a company named Anzo, not the greatest quality of plastic mounts, busted one on each headlight so far, working on a new redneck mount. But I mean they look great otherwise! Pricing, well...not exactly cheap, almost $300 (when I bought them at the beginning of the year, they were way cheaper), but overall works great. She's a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT

View attachment 341782

View attachment 341783

View attachment 341784

Like it. The halo rings make it more appealing.

Hmmm.... If a person just replaced the bulbs, IN the headlights, does that count as installing aftermarket lights? I'm going to go with yep and proceed.

I recently put in Sealight 9007/HB5 LED bulbs, 12,000LM Super Bright Cool White Dual Beam bulbs. Purchased them on Amazon for about 50 bucks. They are relatively easy to install, just be sure to follow the instructions (I.E. make sure they are installed with the elements facing side to side not top/bottom) once I had them in right they look good. I also like that they don't have fans to keep them cool until they fail.
The low beam honestly doesn't project out much further than the OEM halogens, just whiter. But as I wasn't complaining about my low beams being too short I didn't worry (No point in blinding oncoming traffic anyway) But they are definitely brighter and shine further when in High beam mode. When combined with my LED floods and spots the trails are like daylight.

Hmmm.... If a person just replaced the bulbs, IN the headlights, does that count as installing aftermarket lights? I'm going to go with yep and proceed.

I recently put in Sealight 9007/HB5 LED bulbs, 12,000LM Super Bright Cool White Dual Beam bulbs. Purchased them on Amazon for about 50 bucks. They are relatively easy to install, just be sure to follow the instructions (I.E. make sure they are installed with the elements facing side to side not top/bottom) once I had them in right they look good. I also like that they don't have fans to keep them cool until they fail.
The low beam honestly doesn't project out much further than the OEM halogens, just whiter. But as I wasn't complaining about my low beams being too short I didn't worry (No point in blinding oncoming traffic anyway) But they are definitely brighter and shine further when in High beam mode. When combined with my LED floods and spots the trails are like daylight.
Plug and play in the OEM reflectors? or filing needed? 9007/HB5 bulbs listed on Ebay as incompatible with my 98 Ex.

Plug and play in my 2000 explorer. Might need to do a search for ones that fit the 98.

Give an honest review of your experience/install/quality, with the brand/style replacement headlight you installed.

Please state your year & model for reference.

If you have a link to the merchant, install, or personal video of the install to share, please add that as well.

Pictures say a thousand words they say, so if you have some, let us see them!

Explorer Forum Rating of 1-5, 1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest:

Install- easy to hard
Looks- poor to excellent
Price- low to high
Quality- low to high

Would you refer them to someone else, or warn them against?
Replaced both sides, Very Easy. Old ones were a Total Fog Out. The Insides were Oxidized beyond repair. New ones were available in Chrome or Black Bezel, I got Black for around $110.00 for Both.plus bulbs
Put new bulbs in, Old ones were fine, but hey..... One thing..
DO NOT USE LED in Reflective housing. Total waste of time and money. Got them Amazon, Amerilite company .

Replaced both sides, Very Easy. Old ones were a Total Fog Out. The Insides were Oxidized beyond repair. New ones were available in Chrome or Black Bezel, I got Black for around $110.00 for Both.plus bulbs
Put new bulbs in, Old ones were fine, but hey..... One thing..
DO NOT USE LED in Reflective housing. Total waste of time and money. Got them Amazon, Amerilite company .
Oh, in a 99 Ex. XLT 4dr.

Back