Haven't been around for a while | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Haven't been around for a while

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited Explorer
I've been a member of the forums for a few years, but have never given a formal introduction of myself. These forums have been extremely useful during the years that I owned my explorers. So here's my story. My name is Stuart, and I've had my 98 limited since i was 16. its got 237xxx on the original motor and drivetrain (minus transfer case and 3 front driveshafts) and its still going strong. after about a year of owning that, i found a 91 sport that was already lifted and just needed a clutch. I had that for about a year and a half before the locked 8.8 blew out of it ( cross pin decided to meet pinion) and I started swapping my 1/2tons in. I got a d44/9 inch combo for 200 out of 79 f150 and put the 9 inch in first with 4.56 gears. since my other form on transportation with only temporary, i stopped there before tearing the front end apart for the d44. So I drove it around for a few months with a half ton rear and no 4wd when she went bye bye, flipped her over the front end and onto the roof. :roll: ? Luckily, I was the only one in the vehicle, no other vehicles were involved, nor any mind altering substances, and i walked away from it with only a bruised back and a concussion. its been just over a year since that and i was going to school at the time and driving around 10 miles a day so i ended up getting a 93 talon TSI. I needed something with good gas mileage and figured i get something fast too, but quickly learned that fast and efficient don't get along too well. Which brings us pretty much up to speed. I'm tired of constantly fixing the talon and I am going to start looking for another 1st gen explorer, except a clean, factory, preferably low mileage, 4 door to start with so the rest of the family can enjoy it with me, and I don't have to wonder why the previous owner ran this wire here and put that bolt there. It will probably be another few months before I can afford one, as I need to sell the car first, and i will wait for exactly what i want to come about. In the meantime, I will be lurking the forums and helping out where I can. I've also attached a few before and after pics of the 91. Thanks for reading. :)

When I First got the 91
0528091803.jpg

Flexing (Not the best picture in the world)
1025091656.jpg

With the 9 inch, minus the body lift
0703101619a.jpg

with the 9 inch, minus the roof- After the accident (that's my buddy who helped take the roof off behind the truck)
0713101502a.jpg

Now for the bad ones- Damage from the accident
0712100922a-1.jpg

0712100923a.jpg

I think this one is the worst of them
0712100920a.jpg

Back