JimMadsen

Reaction score
City, State
New Britain, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
As the title says, is anyone willing to hop over to here:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/75886-Rough-Idle-and-another-question

and read about my problems? It now appears to be electrical. I am having a hard time getting info I need outta the people there. I was hoping someone could kinda backstop what is said there.

Thanks!

Post any answers here of course, I just didn't want to post everything all over again!

hard to diagnose problems over the internet. you could have saved money by carrying the vehicle to a competent mechanic.
noises (without actually hearing them) are sometimes elusive. idler/tensioner pulleys, power steering pumps, a/c clutches, etc can all make a whine. even an alternator can whine when it is under a load. with your battery not being fully charged, your whine might just be the alternator working overtime, trying to maintain the battery. if you or someone in your family has an aftermarket sound system with an amplifier....take it our now ! GM alternators are crappy at best, not designed for high loads demanded by an amplifier.

J...maybe I was a small help.

Hmm I listen to conservative talk radio on th eXM, so no sound system there!

I actually just swapped out the alternator on Sunday and a bearing was def shot. The whine is gone and the battery is more consistent now. And the headlights seem to be brighter! It took me so long because it was stubborn and the daylight just goes away faster now.

I have also replaced the tensioner which I think helped as well. When I pulled that off there was a faint squeak when turned by hand.

Thanks for the reply though.

Back