Removing my trans, having some issues. Also need advice on problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing my trans, having some issues. Also need advice on problem

Mr.Fork

Reaction score
City, State
Scotch Plains, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
So i bought my truck nearly 6 months ago now, and it's been sitting all along waiting for me to get the time to replace the trans. It came with a new trans out of a 96.

The issue it has is that if you put it into drive, it doesnt move, put it into reverse, doesn't move, but put it into 1 or 2 and it drives. Personally it sounds like the trans is not blown, but that there are a couple bad solenoids, does this sound correct?

I started pulling the trans, and am running into an issue of having some rusty bolts on the exhaust that will not budge. They are the 3 bolts for the bottom of the y pipe(aside from the fact that I broke the flange trying to get the spring bolts out on the intermediate pipe to catback pipe). I have a new transmission, is it possible to just change the solenoids out for the other trans? If so, how do I go about doing this and does anyone think it will even do me a bit of good? I feel like the further I get into this truck, the more headaches I'm running into.

It's a 96 xlt 4wd 4.0 ohv by the way. Thanks for any input

No i did not, I'm still very new to automatic transmissions, and know very little about electrical. When checking the range sensor, am I looking for a particular voltage going to it? As for the linkage cable, how would I be able to tell if it's adjusted correctly?

Does your transmission fully engage into park when you shift into park? Do you see your reverse lights turn on when you shift into reverse? Is the starter capable of cranking when you shift into park or neutral?

Back