Having trouble finding shop to install mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Having trouble finding shop to install mods

bex

Reaction score
City, State
E.TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 eddie bauer
I have a 2003 and my tires are getting near time to replace. I want to get bigger tires and throw some spacers on.

I have a called a few shops and got a strict "no" to my needing someone to put the spacers on. One guy told me he does not know of anyone that will modify an explorer's suspension besides putting facotry replacement parts on.

I was calling about tires (only 3 stores) and they said they will not install bigger tires than what came on it for liability reasons.

I am guessing this all came from the stuff in the 90's about roll-overs, but come on, 2 designs ago?

This comes all on top of the U-haul thing, I bought my ex and got ready to move, then found out u-haul doesn't rent trailers to explorers, still had to borrow a friend's truck to move, a PITA.

I am in E TN, is this a problem everywhere? Or is it I just need to search more and out of the area? Doing it myself is a no go, I have no tools and live in an apartment.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2003 and my tires are getting near time to replace. I want to get bigger tires and throw some spacers on.

I have a called a few shops and got a strict "no" to my needing someone to put the spacers on. One guy told me he does not know of anyone that will modify an explorer's suspension besides putting facotry replacement parts on.

I was calling about tires (only 3 stores) and they said they will not install bigger tires than what came on it for liability reasons.

I am guessing this all came from the stuff in the 90's about roll-overs, but come on, 2 designs ago?

This comes all on top of the U-haul thing, I bought my ex and got ready to move, then found out u-haul doesn't rent trailers to explorers, still had to borrow a friend's truck to move, a PITA.

I am in E TN, is this a problem everywhere? Or is it I just need to search more and out of the area? Doing it myself is a no go, I have no tools and live in an apartment.

Thank you.

are you in a big city? Places like pep boys typically wont install anything bigger, but places like 4 wheel parts will. If you're in a big city find a place like that, or if you're near one make the drive. There are no off road shops near you for the spacers???

You know what, i've heard of this before....

Dont EVER go back to those shops, they are a ####ing joke.....

Like i said, i heard of stories like yours on here before, so when I went to shop around for a place to install my BFG M/T's, i threw them IN the back of my SUV, just to show the guys what i wanted installed,lol....of course i was expecting a buncha "no ways!" from the shops.

My first stop was Tires Plus or some chain store....cant remember for sure.

But i told the desk clerk, "hey these are what I want installed, they are bigger, they should fit."

He goes " oh pffft yeah, we'll install them! You want em done now? C'mon inside, the guys will take it in right now"

Obviously the dude was MORE than happy to get it installed.

Hell, the guy even took it for a test drive FOR me....It wasn't like they were like "ehh here they are installed, hope they dont break loose, good luck!"

-----

You just needa find a store that wants your business man.....dont even waste your time on those other scumbags.

Keep shopping around, you'll fine a place that will do it.

----

I've had my M/T's for over 35k and not ONE single problem.
They are wearing out perfectly even on all tires.
I've only put air in them TWICE......im telling you, if you want low maintenance tires, buy BFG M/T's....
I've only put like 1lbs of air in them like once a year.....thats IT.....ive nailed some serious potholes, off-roaded, done 80mph daily on the highway with these things, they hold up beyond awesome....
I guarantee you if I had "stock" tires, i would have blown them to a ****-pile by now....

Where are u at in E. TN. If you are willing to travel a little ways I know of a good place in Clarksville that will install the lift tires and more if you want them to. Just let me know and I will give you the name for the place.

There's a tire shop here in Calgary that used to advertise their ability to install and modify for oversized tires and they even helped you figure out how big and what you need to do on an online questionaire. It seemed like overnight the oversize tire webpage came down and they stopped installing anything other than OEM. You just never know what the lawyers will scare businesses into, or out of.

Anyway, they won't be selling me any tires now, but they sure could have before they got chicken$hat.

Where are u at in E. TN. If you are willing to travel a little ways I know of a good place in Clarksville that will install the lift tires and more if you want them to. Just let me know and I will give you the name for the place.

I am out near Knoxville, if I cannot find a place around here then Clarksville would have to do.

Really not serious until after winter, at least that is when I estimate I will have to start shopping for new tires.

But if you do not mind, I would like to know the name of the place, that way I at least have some peace of mind.

Thank you

I am out near Knoxville, if I cannot find a place around here then Clarksville would have to do.

Really not serious until after winter, at least that is when I estimate I will have to start shopping for new tires.

But if you do not mind, I would like to know the name of the place, that way I at least have some peace of mind.

Thank you

The place is called The Off Road Supremacy. They have a website it is www.clarksvilleoffroad.com, They are really good guys. They wanted to do a double SAS on mine but I got orders and got rid of the Ex. Hope this helps you out.

Thank you

Hey bex, I'm in the same area. Just west of knoxville. There should be plenty of places that will mount your tires. Hit the more out of the way places. You might try just taking wheels and tires to a place and give no information except you want them to mount and balance a set of tires. If questioned, say for a 100% off-road rig. You also might try Jim's Off-Road in Oak Ridge the number there is (865)482-6912. If all that crashes, holler back, N2Ford may have some additional places. It'll be no problem getting tires mounted. Talking about spacers.. Do you mean wheel spacers? Do that yourself. Folks will shy away from wheel spacers.

Hey bex, I'm in the same area. Just west of knoxville. There should be plenty of places that will mount your tires. Hit the more out of the way places. You might try just taking wheels and tires to a place and give no information except you want them to mount and balance a set of tires. If questioned, say for a 100% off-road rig. You also might try Jim's Off-Road in Oak Ridge the number there is (865)482-6912. If all that crashes, holler back, N2Ford may have some additional places. It'll be no problem getting tires mounted. Talking about spacers.. Do you mean wheel spacers? Do that yourself. Folks will shy away from wheel spacers.

Oak Ridge, thanks, did not even think about looking up there.

Spacers? I was meaning the Road Bully spacers, not wheel spacers, so it should not be a problem at an off-road shop.

Due to my tires being even worse than thought, tires are going to have to go on this week, hoping the 265/75/16 will fit just fine. Spacers will have to come later in the spring.

I found a tire shop in N Knox with a good price and they seem not to have a problem with throwing the tires on. It has been forever and a day since I bought tires for anything other than a truck, so I guess I had to keep calling!

Thank you

I think your problems were the Spacers, you're not going to find a shop that will take the liability of installing those. Install them yourself, if you can change a tire you can install the spacers. Shops will then put larger tires on it, they just don't want to take the liability of installing it. Almost all shops will not install something like a spacer if they don't sell it.

Every tire place I've gone has put the tire size I wanted on the vehicle. A couple just had me sign a waiver which said I took responsibility for the change in Speedo and premature wear/rub on any components to include the tire.

I found a nice place that installed the tires I wanted, look nice.

Just some more looking was all I needed to do i guess.

Thanks.

Back