HD transmission mounts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HD transmission mounts

Yeah you can find heavy duty V6 mounts all day long. Someone on here made some like that and had them for sale but that was awhile ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah you can find heavy duty V6 mounts all day long. Someone on here made some like that and had them for sale but that was awhile ago.
Brian still can make them, he's the best choice for this kind of thing.

That's interesting. I wonder what the bolt pattern is for those holes, and the height of course.

Height is the biggest concern I have. Most cross members have slotted holes so if they are offset or inline matters little. Besides, I'd rather drill holes then rebuild a cross member.

I know my C-6 mount and my AODE mount look identical, I'd bet money they interchange. Ford seems to have stuck with basically tranny mount for decades.

Just spent the morning drinking coffee and cross referencing P\n's from various Ford vehicles with 302 Auto transmission set up.

Difficult on the web.

There used to be buyers guides from various manufacturers with a cross reference in the back.

Listed by P\n and what it would fit.

Who the heck uses paper books anymore anyway....

Yes, reference books are better, precious actually. I lowered my Ranchero back in 1988 by simply copying the reference page of all springs available in the right diameter range. With a calculator and paper/pencil, I chose a spring that got the rate I wanted, and was long enough to cut about 3/4 of one coil off. The steel was hard enough that I used up two hacksaw blades. Picking springs randomly would not have been the best idea, doing it once was enough, for $85 for the pair of springs.

Side by side

110F4EC7-A219-4ACB-8B23-5FD0E02C97CA.jpeg

7B1E6068-BE67-40DA-A4ED-A356A0C33804.jpeg

I was going to go up to autozone and just side by side compare all the ones I wanted to match up. None of them had all the mounts so I would have had to go to 4 different auto zones. It would be a WHOLE lot easier if they did put the dimensions in the descriptions but only 1 out of 10 do that.

With a calculator and paper/pencil,

Ancient technology at its best.

And to think we put a man on the moon using a Slide Rule...

LOL

Interesting fact:

The average hand held pocket calculator has the greater computing power than the lunar lander computer used in the Apollo missions.

That thing weighed 70 Lbs!

I was going to go up to autozone and just side by side compare all the ones I wanted to match up. None of them had all the mounts so I would have had to go to 4 different auto zones. It would be a WHOLE lot easier if they did put the dimensions in the descriptions but only 1 out of 10 do that.

Try O'Reilly's for specs.

They had all of the caliper specs I needed to compare rear brakes from four different Fords, for my 99. That saved me more research time, although the issue ends up being the parking brake cable(turned 90* in the Crown Vics). I'm debating hunting the 2010ish Ranger rear brake parts, or re-drilling my CV plate and welding a tab to my rear housing. I'd rather have the Ranger parts, but those aren't common yet in JY's.

A little time with the dremel for clearance

F55B2F56-2A68-4F29-B0DB-1C38B71E246F.jpeg

B8DE3721-781C-4317-8EA4-C73424340CCD.jpeg

Very good, that might add enough support to hold the rubber together longer. Let's hope so.

Please tell me you measured the height of your mount so we at least have that measurement finally.

Its made from a OE style mount so the size is the same. I will take measurements when I get home today and post them so evey one can see what size fits.

I think the rubber will flex underneath the urethane and break it up. Go out and do some two-footed brake and gas burnouts to test. Report back.

Test complete. Still intact. They used this same style mount in Days of Thunder so I know it’s good.

Transmission bolt holes are 5.5 inch center to center.
Crossmember bolts are 3 1/16 center to center.
Offset about 3/4 of an inch.
1 5/8 inches high.

Harder to see in the pictures but those are the measurements.

A1A46F45-3453-4161-96C7-E16BC8A7FA7E.jpeg

2C51ADDE-A796-4A44-8FA0-DD231E72EDD6.jpeg

EA37DB4A-C6B2-4EE6-8B88-245AA1CD0296.jpeg

4BFEEF68-2F67-4013-8809-525E510B5FF2.jpeg

3DED6099-457D-4201-AF40-D80978B0A03C.jpeg

550B03E6-4C92-4E30-8FAB-C146AD82AB2A.jpeg

Was the mount suppose to be in the transmission during the test???

C848AFC3-453F-4BDA-83F0-104CD3247A05.jpeg

8ADEDA80-F233-46D2-A887-CFB20A654188.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very cool Craigerz! Now, how much to make me one? :D

I was doing some reserch and came across this:

GF-GMATM-3-600x400.jpg

What do you guys think of a design similar to this for the 5.0L?

Back