HD transmission mounts

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
I have been looking for aheavy duty transmission mount to support the extra weight of the 4406, and to no surprise there aren’t any for the 5.0 Ex. So I am experimenting with making my own. There is a polyurethane kit for beefing up your existing motor mounts from Energy Suspension.

DIY Liquid Urethane Engine and Motor Mount Inserts

So I made a mold around a new cheap rubber mount.

Poured in the liquid polyurethane. And now waiting for it to dry.

8DEF7D4A-8FE0-4DD5-B0DD-7299B887DB29.jpeg

8E116F30-F48F-4D5A-A855-5BBE8CCF27C7.jpeg

074FFC50-B7AE-473E-8CE8-4EBE4F5D0404.jpeg

4D7F5AFE-14C2-4C54-9D86-52EE3AC13D53.jpeg

F0A94F03-6DE4-44B1-9A55-33B8185DB963.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, and cool if it does the job.

I've been wanting to find a spare 302 cross member, and send it to Brian with measurements of the OEM mount, and the common ES trans mounts. I'd prefer to buy a mount that bolts in, an existing application part.

Hopefully what you're doing will work fine.

I guess it’s been a ghetto way for FWD cars to squirt window caulk in the holes of their engine mounts. I’m really hoping this works because it was 50 bucks for the poly and 11 for the new mount.

Hindsight... I thought it was going to be a lot more product than it was and was going to use it else where also but it didn’t really make a whole lot. So I paid an extra 5 bucks or so for the red. And like an extra 11 for the hardest one. So I guess it could have been done 45. Less if I wanted to spend time cleaning the old mount if it’s wasnt torn.

And it take 7 days to cure fully. So an update won’t be for a while.

I think I've seen something like that for filling engine mounts too. That was aimed at filling the many holes in whatever mounts they used, but I never thought of using it for a transmission mount. It may add strength to if from the outside, I don't recall much about the stuff I saw years ago.

@Brian1 and @RockRanger have both made HD transmission mounts for the first generation Explorers. I am not positive, but I don't think there is a difference between 1st and 2nd Gen Explorer transmission mounts.

I think you’re right for the 4.0. The 4R70W behind the 5.0 is the outcast for aftermarket mounts. What I see is the 4.0 holes for the CM are narrower. I was half tempted to drill new holes but didn’t know it the mounts for the transmission were the the same.

I found some metal mount for like 200 somewhere but i didn’t really want a solid metal mount. I’ve seen some pretty custom jobs that use bushings and all (Not for sale), I’m just not able to do something like that.

Interesting approach! I didn't know that stuff existed.

Yes the 4L mounts are the same (up to a certain year? The Anchor part # is only good from 91-97) but the 5.0 is different. It is much shorter and offset so it is hard if not impossible to make the round polyurethane bushings fit like my 1st gen mounts. Don hinted at the solution above but I am still not sure even that would work with a mount similar to mine. I think someone on the forum has modified their cross member by notching it lower to use the Energy Suspension mount, a search may turn that post up.

Tim did the reworking of his 4R70W cross member. I'd like one similar to that, to use the common Mustang mount that Summit and everyone else carries.

I read someone did an F150 mount and lowered the CM on here. That’s why I went to the ES website and just happened to click on this stuff. I’ve looke and looked and it’s the cross member bolts that nothing lines up with. Mustangs thru - 250 all use the same transmission (Not all but whatever) the bolts for our CM is just wider is all I can make out from it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

More trimming

image.jpg

I'm still wondering about the early Mustang mounts instead of the later.

www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/poly-tranny-mount-for-5-0.427816/

Last year sometime there was a tranny mount thread and I posted this link for the 3rd time and it finally started a small conversation on the subject. The OP was getting a factory mount to use but was going to measure it up. If he did I was willing to buy the early mustang mount to measure up and finally see how it would work.

He never did and I can't find that thread, but we almost figured something out.

All of the Mustang mounts I looked at, up to the late 80s is as far as I went, we’re about an inch too tall. That’s just from reading the description online, but that is my next move if this doesn’t work out.

Stuff dried hard as a rock

Drilling out the holes. Need a bigger bit.

406B080C-33EC-46F1-9755-88FA653B3B2D.jpeg

07D93C25-330D-4F8A-8709-834D6ED3A44D.jpeg

DEC51BB3-79C4-4915-9D38-EBAF5A82E11D.jpeg

Bolt holes

0C56AA88-A57A-4F0E-820F-9FEE3A467997.jpeg

9B4AFAA5-C91F-4CF3-AC12-1C98F6465302.jpeg

All of the Mustang mounts I looked at, up to the late 80s is as far as I went, we’re about an inch too tall. That’s just from reading the description online, but that is my next move if this doesn’t work out.

Did you look at my link? That 64-73 mount looks just like yours. And 79-04 is all the same tall mount.

Did you look at my link? That 64-73 mount looks just like yours. And 79-04 is all the same tall mount.
That's interesting. I wonder what the bolt pattern is for those holes, and the height of course.

Unless it’s a universal picture, see how the bolts for the crossmemeber and transmission bolt hold are staggered on mine and straight in line on the Mustang one.

I thought about drilling new holes in the cross member but the measurements looked to be too close to the original holes.

Watching.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back