• Register Today It's free!

Head Light Lenses

jfrank

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Maria, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT, '92 EB, 93 XLT
Our 91 XLT has plastic head light lenses that are totally crazed out. Where would be a good place to order new and how difficult are they to change?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you mean like the black out covers or do you mean they are getting kinda yellowish like dull and not clear? I have heard of someone wet sanding headlights, but I'm not sure. hopefully someone else will post too ! !

jcwhitney has them cheap

Went through the J C Whitney catalog and while they have covers and whole headlight assemblies (at $90 each), it does not appear that they have just the lense.

well, $90 isnt too bad.... the assembly from ford is like $280 perside!!!! trust me, i have priced them.... you may want to check out try local boneyards

I would try some lens polish or some car polish. The "polish" has a hint of abrasion to it. I had a Grand Marquis with that problem and it worked well.

i wetsanded the headlight on my mazda 626. it worked great. first i used 600 grit, then 1200. then some plastic polish and they look like new. :)

it only took about 30 minutes total.

I tried polish, rubbing compund, rising grits of sandpaper and these units are still fogged. Seems to be milky all the way through. So I think I need new lense units. Besides which on the left side the adjusters are broken.

So where is the best place to get these parts?

you could try a junkyard...

but they might be more than you want to pay for used headlights. also try www.ebay.com
sometimes there are cheap headlight assemblys on there

ya, on ebay they sell the headlight housings for 60 bucks each i believe

Do a search for Novus plastic cleaner. Get Novus #2 it'll make your lenses look like new.

Back