Headlight bulb caught on fire!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight bulb caught on fire!!!!

kkg1280fl

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
For the SECOND TIME!!! GRRRRRR!!! :mad: I have major problems with my drivers' side headlight!! The socket won't stay put! The first time I replaced the bulb I noticed the socket was loose so I tried to tighten it as best I could without breaking the bulb but I hit a pot hole and it popped out. Then I found out I had a leaky headlight and the rain got to it so I had to drain the outside unit and then seal it with silicone and replace the bulb again. Then it popped out again. I taped it to the socket. Tuesday night I hit a really big pot hole and the sucker popped right back out!!! This time I didn't know it but it rested on the outside of the headlight thingy and melted it! I smelled burning plastic and pulled over to find my headlight bulb on fire!!!!!!! I immediately shut the car off and unplugged the bulb to find it a total loss. :eek:

I replaced the bulb and taped it again but tried to drive carefully. That didn't work. On my way to work tonight, I smelled burning plastic and again my light was on fire. :eek: What else can I do to fix this issue???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you have to tape them in or they keep falling out its time to give up driving when you need lights or its time to fix them right for your safety and the others on the road with you. Not being mean just know when to call what I would say is time for some new head light housings and maybe sockets.

I know I replaced mine last year from being fogged out and also one was were I could not tighten a bulb holder in it any more. The only thing I am sorry about in doing it is that I had not done it sooner. Better light on the road and my bulbs are now lasting as there tight not lose any more. May think about it as a set of OEM style knock off replacements are not too much at all.

Sounds like it's time for a new housing. They are fairly affordable. Check RockAuto, 1A Auto, and your local parts house.

If you use the bulb retainers, the bulbs should never be able to budge in the housing.

HW1980.jpg

replace at least that headlight housing (i'd change both of them) that way you'll have 2 nice clear headlights and you'll fix your problem. they're not expensive on-line.

replace at least that headlight housing (i'd change both of them) that way you'll have 2 nice clear headlights and you'll fix your problem. they're not expensive on-line.

^this^.

I can get headlights for a genI from KSI (local auto body parts supplier) for $34 each.

YES its that plastic thing that melted! Thank you guys so much!

Back