Water inside headlight assembly | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water inside headlight assembly

Superglue was never used on the rubber booty that's supposed to seal the lights. The glue was spread along the seam and it migrates great. Then I followed it with silicone over the top and let it dry for 24 hours before placing the booties back over the head lights.

Superglue is water proof and has great tension strength. but not shear stength. I used superglue on an aquarium pumps magnet that spins pretty fast. One day that plastic impeller on the bottum of the magnet came off and I used superglue on it to reattach it. I thought it would last for a day or 2, but low and behold it's been running strong for 8 years and running.

The pump was only $26.00 and I think the Superglue paid for itself. I figured the pump would only last for 4 years max.

Superglue is waterproof and I recommend it. It goes right into that tiny seam and you can't even see it. Then top it off with silicone over the top of seam. I didn't glue the booty to the headlight.

d-1

Rhett said:
Do not use super glue. Use silicone gel--it is designed for this task. Superglue isn't.
All you'll do is permanently fuse the rubber gasket to the headlight assembly, and it won't be all that waterproof, either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been nearly a year and the lighs are still great.....

d-1

2 years later

After 2 years later, water condensation reappears inside headlight assembly. The
SUV sat in extremely cold temperatures here in the DFW area, very low teens and ice and rain sleet for days on end and the water condensation reappeared inside the headlight assembly.

Just following up on a 2 year study whether its best to keep the headlight assembly air tight or to drill small weeping holes in the bottom of headlight assembly to allow proper air ventillation.

d-1

Thanks for the update dolphans1. Ensure that the hole is not plugged up by ice or whatever.

Water inside headlight assembley

On my SUV I elected not to drill the holes on the bottom, I went along and used Superglue around the edge of the weld and used silicone as added protection. It lasted 2 years, but I let SUV sit in ice storm for 2 solid weeks with a lot of rain and sleat....

d-1

Thanks for the update dolphans1. Ensure that the hole is not plugged up by ice or whatever.

Back