• Register Today It's free!

Water inside headlight assembly

dolphans1

Reaction score
City, State
Lone Star
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have read several posts about water entering the head light assembly of some Ford Explorers. Though no one really explains exactly how or why the water is getting inside. I had the same isssue happen with me recently. I originally assumed it was water condensation from being cold outside and dried both headlight assembly's completely out. Then one day it rained all day and there was water droplets back inside both headlight assemblys.

Upon inspection, I did not notice any visable signs of cracks. I pulled both headlight assemblys out (again) and filled them both with water and turned them upside down and never saw any water leak out the seams where they are plasitic welded or glued together.

I wonder why no water leaks out? Is it easier for water to flow into the assembly than out of it?

When I pulled one of the bulbs out of the socket it made a noise similar to that of pulling a cork out of an empty wine bottle. That told me there was some steam pressure building up inside the headlight assembly because of the heat caused by moisture trying to escape inside the headlight cavity, and if so, would this not tell me that the headlight assembly it is air tight, thus water tight?

What is the best proven fix other than replacing each headlight assembly.

I have read of applying silicone or drilling holes on the bottom, but if you drill holes, where exactly do you drill them, and is that even a good technique to use?

Also why would Ford design a headlight assembly that's air tight operating a halogen bulb, do they not burn hot?

d-1

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drill small holes in the bottoms of each headlight. That keeps the condensation away, and if any water gets in, it drains right back out.

Oldest trick in the book ;)

Put them in the corner where all the water builds up. If you dont know, put a small hole in both corners. No damage can really be done with this as long as you make the holes small. Dont have to be any bigger than 1/4". Usually smaller.

2 cents..

since uve already filled the headlight assembly with water and turned it upside down, then obviously there is no leakage or cracks.. what i would do is put the lamps back on a nice dry day and ensure that the seal around the light bulb assembly is tightly on.

my reasoning behind this is i dont think that water is actually "running" or "seeping" into ur headlights.. when it rains, the humidity level (how saturated the air is by water molecules) is way up there so that this humid air is getting into ur headlights.. but when it dries up, somehow is not able to get out.. making sure that the seal between the bulb assembly and the headlight assembly is tight ensures that humid air doesnt get inside the headlight.. check to make sure there are no cracks on any of the rubber gaskets (or o-rings) that seal in the bulb assembly.. also, if the seals have hardened, then its probably best to replace them.

Will do, I ran a bead of superglue around the outer perimeter of light assembly, followed up by a thin layer of silicone, just to make sure there is not a small leak. There have been days when it was as cold as 40-50s and later on in day it heated up to 80ishs and perhaps some condensation occurred.

d-1

IZwack said:
2 cents..

since uve already filled the headlight assembly with water and turned it upside down, then obviously there is no leakage or cracks.. what i would do is put the lamps back on a nice dry day and ensure that the seal around the light bulb assembly is tightly on.

my reasoning behind this is i dont think that water is actually "running" or "seeping" into ur headlights.. when it rains, the humidity level (how saturated the air is by water molecules) is way up there so that this humid air is getting into ur headlights.. but when it dries up, somehow is not able to get out.. making sure that the seal between the bulb assembly and the headlight assembly is tight ensures that humid air doesnt get inside the headlight.. check to make sure there are no cracks on any of the rubber gaskets (or o-rings) that seal in the bulb assembly.. also, if the seals have hardened, then its probably best to replace them.

Drill the hole at the lowest point of the head light assembly that you can or the water will just sit inside.

Mine gets water in it also. I was thinking about putting a fake gold fish in mine.

Subscribing.

oh im all up for that fake goldfish idea .. or lets push it up another level - a REAL goldfish.. i guess ud have to feed it every morning before you drive ur truck..

Where exactly do you drill the hole? I would guess the bottom of the assembly toward the rear? or more toward the front? Does drilling really help or does it make it worse?

d-1

Lt.Jim said:
Drill the hole at the lowest point of the head light assembly that you can or the water will just sit inside.

That would get pretty expensive, once the underwater halogen bulb is turned on, it would pop and kill your fish and your bulb. At least add shrimp, you can eat them..... :p

d-1

IZwack said:
oh im all up for that fake goldfish idea .. or lets push it up another level - a REAL goldfish.. i guess ud have to feed it every morning before you drive ur truck..

no NO NO!!! see we're going to ditch the entire headlight idea, were just going straight goldfish.. no need for headlights, just dont drive at night.

So far it's been a month and no water has come back. I washed the lights out real good (the assembly of course),put a bead of super glue around the outside edge of seam, then ran a bead of clear silicone around the seams of clear palstic where it was weilded to the backside of white housing. I elected to not drill the holes, as I assmued the factory would have designed it this way to begin with. The lights look like new when washed as they are very clear.

d-1

glad to hear it worked out for u Dolphans1

so all you did was... flush out the inside, and seal up the edges and where the bulb goes with silicone?

NO, there is a clear see through lens that is plastic that is welded to the white housing where the bulb sits in. With the halogen bulb and headlight assembly removed, I ran a thin bead of superglue around that seam where the 2 sides meet each other.

Superglue is great because it migrates into any tiny cracks that my be there naked to the eye. Then I followed up by running clear silicone bead around that same bead where I put the superglue giving it double protection.

I removed both headlight assemblys and washed them out good with hot water and soap. Let them both dry out in the sun before I ran glue. Heat allows expansion to expose a weak seam. I let Silicone dry for 24 hours before reinstalling them. I placed the black rubber bootie over the seam when silicone was dry and replaced light assemblys.

I have been through at least 2 rain storms and 1 car wash and so far no water inside light assembly.

I was concerned about drilling holes because small particles of dust could blow in, along with humdity, which may cause the inside clear lens to become dirty or cloudy.

I was amazed how clear and new the lenses looked after being washed & when placed back on the SUV.

d-1

Creager said:
so all you did was... flush out the inside, and seal up the edges and where the bulb goes with silicone?

i was confused for a bit cauz i dont remember seeing the same setup on the light assembly as u described D1 but I just realized that u have a first gen and the 2nd gen might be different.

Yes the back outside side of the front hightlight assembly is white and it meets with the plastic front clear lens side. The two sides are pressed together (joined together) and glued from the factory I presume. The bulb itself screws into the backside of the light (white) assembly from the back with a 1/4 turn.

IZwack said:
i was confused for a bit cauz i dont remember seeing the same setup on the light assembly as u described D1 but I just realized that u have a first gen and the 2nd gen might be different.

I had that problem once. All I did was remove the headlight assembly, and re-silicone all the way around the rubber sleeve that fits around the assembly. No more moisture since then.

I'll bet pvc glue would work. I have the same problem on my 94EB
I'm gonna take it apart and clean them like you said then wipe a bead of pvc glue around the seams
thanks for the info Mike

You know that thought crossed my mind at the time, but I went with superglue. Superglue migrates really well in tiny cracks.

d-1

VAEXPLODEREB94 said:
I'll bet pvc glue would work. I have the same problem on my 94EB
I'm gonna take it apart and clean them like you said then wipe a bead of pvc glue around the seams
thanks for the info Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do not use super glue. Use silicone gel--it is designed for this task. Superglue isn't.
All you'll do is permanently fuse the rubber gasket to the headlight assembly, and it won't be all that waterproof, either.

Back