• Register Today It's free!

Headlight hi/low beam problem

MadeInJapan

Reaction score
City, State
SouthBay, Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer EB
Just recently, the left headlight went out while I was driving, but high beam on the left still worked just fine, so I figured the low beam filament in the left headlight bulb burned out. I decided to replace them with new PIAA superwhites.

After I replaced both bulbs and turned on the switch, the left bulb was still not lighting up. But again, high beam works on the left.

I took my explorer to a local mechanic and had him test the left headlight connecter to see if it was getting power in low beam and it wasn't. What could be causing this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a high/low beam relay. Not sure if the Explorer has one or one for each lamp. You could get or look in a Chilton's manual or even the owner's manual to find out.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I gave up on trying to fix it myself and took the explorer to a Ford dealer today. When I checked with the mechanic, He told me he was checking all the wires from engine bay fuse box. After 4 hours of waiting, service manager came up to me and said some sort of "module" needs to be replaced but I have to come back because the part is not in stock. I had to quickly get to work so I didn't bother asking him what it was. But after doing some research here, I found out alot of owners had problems with the turn signal switch assembly...maybe that was it. I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow morning..

Hello,
I have the same problem with my 95 EB. I have no power at the connector. I do have power at interior fuse #4 which is for the left side lowbeam. This fuse is downstream of the turn signal switch so I don't think that is the problem. There is a check headlight module wired in parallel with the lowbeams downstream of the fuses. This might be the problem.

My question is did you get the lights fixed? What was the final resolution?

Thanks,
Ron

I took my Ex to Ford. They replaced a bad powerpoint controller, $181 :(

Headlamp Problem

I had same problem. Final diagnosis after spending lots of time and money was "Lamp Out Module" which fixed the problem. For your info Part # F578-10K910-AB Eddie Bauer 96. Module was located in center consol.

Back