• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Switch 94 Limited

weaselonastick

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Hey folks... long time browser, first time with a question. I have a 94 limited with no headlights or highbeams. All other lights and signals fully functional. Replaced the multifunction switch with three different ones from a wrecker... no change. My prognosis is that the hedlight switch is toast. Here's the problem... the original headlight switch is obsolete... cannot find anywhere (Dealer and the web). The problem is that the Limited has an eletrocromatic rear view mirror which ties into the headlight switch. A current replacement switch does not work (wrong pin configuration). Need help!!! Either i need to get another switch (haven't found one at the wreckers), or modify the wiring to use the current replacement switch... I don't care if I loose the electrocromatic mirror. Original part number is SW2421 or F3TZ11654A. Thanks for any advice! Also posted in "under the hood".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Canada, ouch. Is that all that you need, I have my entire dash generally intact? Spend some time an try to think of anything else you could need. I have my Limited dash, whole front end, engine/trans/TC etal. How sure are you that that is what is needed? Regards,

I was checking out the forum today and saw your post from over 8 years ago but was real interested to know if the headlight switch resolved your lights out scenario. I have the same prob with my 2000 Explorer and I'm out of ideas....

Cheers

McMuddy

Two options:

Junk yard.

OR: Replace with a standard switch and run a bypass.

Not to difficult to do.

Wire diagram: http://www.bbbind.com/free_tsb.html

Study the diagram, you'll see what I mean.

It's just your standard power, ground, switch, and the timer slider.

Basically you have two wires that go the the head light relay. One from the manual switch and one from the auto lamp button on the mirror. (which is connected to the manual switch) they did this so that only one wire goes through the firewall to the relay. So you can just "tap" into that wire to accomplish the same thing. You will have two wires connected to the one that goes out to the relay; one from the manual switch and one from the mirror switch. Pie

The auto lamp "off" feature timer is under the dash. the wire from the mirror also goes to the plug on the switch but it's just a pass through then on to the timer.

The photo sensor is on the mirror, nothing to do there.

Then power: which is always on when the key is turned on.

And ground. cake

This was all done as an assembly convenience not out of necessity. If you take it to a shop the bypass would be the fix.

How do we make this a sticky?

I didn't know that the Limited switch was unique in some way, I need to take my old dash apart and save whatever isn't sun damaged.

Modifying these older vehicles by using relays for the head lights is very wise if you'll do it. The older cars with full current going through the dash switches are wearing out the switches at this age, plus the wiring(fragile).

Mechanical wear is going to take its toll on parts no matter what, but full current running through those switches etc, that will kill them eventually too.

If you will add some relays to power the most critical and fragile switched circuits, the lower current will extend the life of those hard to come by parts. Newer cars have few high current dash switched circuits, almost everything has very lower currents that are used to trigger relays of some kind. Regards,

Back