• Register Today It's free!

Headlights shut off

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I seem to have this problem with my headlights shutting off randomly. Well, not entirely random. It seems to happen when I turn the high beams on or off, usually off. The headlights will completely shut off for 5-10 seconds then come back on. It doesn't do it every time I turn the high beams on or off. Just once in awhile, though the last couple nights it's been happening much more frequently.
Because it's such a random issue and doesn't stay off when they do shut off, I have no clue how to troubleshoot this. If I had to make a guess, I would guess that it's somehow related to the headlight switch getting warm, and there being a short in the switch or something. Flipping the high beams is enough to shut them down for a moment, then when they're off the switch cools down and comes back on. When it does shut off, it's just the headlights. The marker lights stay on.
This is very much a WAG but I don't know what to do with it.
Please help.
Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll double check but i think both bulbs work. Possible both are starting to go but don't know how you would tell for sure. I guess replace them and see if it goes away?

Just check your high and low beams, both sides now. If I am right, then one is burned out permanently. Otherwise, I think the next candidate is the multi-function switch, but just check your bulbs, it takes less time that it took me to write this...

Replace the headlight switch - the one you pull to turn on the headlights/parking lights.

The original switches go bad over time, and are actually a fire hazard. Replace it with a new one, preferably a Motorcraft, and it should fix the issue.

Just read this but I checked my bulbs earlier and everything was good. I went ahead and ordered a new switch and a relay as it's my understanding there's no relay, rather the switch acts as one and adding a relay makes the whole setup brighter. I have clue how to install a relay but I'm sure I can figure that out. With help from the smart people on the board.
We'll see how it works out.

I did the relay setup a few years ago. For anyone confused, here is the deal:

The stock explorer headlight wiring runs, to put it simply, from the battery, through the headlight switch, then the multifunction switch, and back out to the headlights. This ends up being a long distance for power to flow through wire that ideally should be a size or two larger. The end result, and you can measure this yourself, is that the voltage at the bulbs themselves drops to around 11.5 volts.

It would be better to drive the bulbs with larger wire in a more direct path, and get 12-13 volts to the bulb. You might be surprised what that extra 1.5 volts will do for brightness, it is quite noticeable.

So, there is a harness on the market (LMC truck has them, among others) that includes a couple of relays, and connects to the battery and the headlights. It has larger wire, and the actual current run to the lamps is much shorter. It is all plug-in, no cutting wires, just adding a wire to the battery, mounting the relays, and routing the harness to the headlights. End result is better headlights. Also, since the headlight switch and multifunction switch are only operating relays now, they should last much longer.

I guess I paid $50 or so for my harness, and I noticed the difference. Doing this AND replacing the headlight lenses made a HUGE difference. I do daily early morning driving in deer country, and for me, it was money very well spent.

Is this what you bought?
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fex/full.aspx?Page=46

I just ordered some standard relays
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ELF77E/ref=pe_385040_30332200_TE_item
I have a set of fog lights that are not wired the best and was going to add a relay to them, then wire in a second set of spots, because I have learned when you're driving around the farm in the middle of the night trying to figure out where the fence is broke, you can never have too much light.

If the first link to the relay harness I posted is better, I'll use that for the main headlights.

No, I read about them in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67524

However, the website is gone. I would either get it from LMC or make my own. The thing with making one is that you really want to get the connections right... I mean solid, and I could see putting $40 in parts and 10 hours into doing what I could get from LMC. But, maybe a few decades ago, I would have done it just to do it.

Actually, $40 assumes you will reuse your headlight sockets, which may need help themselves. To replace those makes it closer to $50 in parts.

A relay with a harness is a good idea, and does get the load off the switch. A new switch with a relay and harness is the best of both worlds, and does give a pretty noticable light output improvement in terms of light on the road.

It's better to get 5-pin relays that have TWO 87 terminals, rather than the regular 5-pin relays that have one 87 terminal and one 87a terminal, which isn't the same thing. With two 87 terminals, you can use one for each of the leads to the headlight bulbs. Note you'll need two relays, one for the high beams and one for the low beams. I suggest Tyco branded relays since they are the successor to the original Bosch relays.

You can get the blue aftermarket 9004/9007 sockets on ebay for a few bucks, you'll need two female harnesses with the retainers (like the stock sockets) plus at least one male socket (looks like the socket end of the 9004 bulbs). You can use your choice of 12/14/16 gauge wire. 12 gauge gives the brightest light but is pretty thick and not as easy to work with, 16 is the minimum I'd use, 14 is a nice in-between balance. You'll need enough wire to run to each bulb twice, plus enough left over for ground wires and power/ground to the relays.

The prefab harnesses for $29.99 are ok, but you can spend a bit more and DIY and have a WAY better product. If you can't DIY, the prefab stuff can be improved just by using some Tyco relays instead of the cheapos they come with.

So for as much as I was concerned about changing my head gaskets, I'm terrified of wiring. I just plain don't understand it. So, I have the new switch ordered, the 5 pin relays I posted the link to above, and then ordered the pre-fab wiring harness from LMC for $40 and change shipped. Add to that a new pair of Wagner Extreme Bright (or something along those lines) bulbs and I guess I'll have a new headlight setup as well. Unless of course if it's the multi function switch then I'll get to replace that as well. I hope it's not. I'll use the relays I ordered on the one set of fog lights there now and also when I add a second set. May just be worth rewiring the current set altogether.

Replace the headlight switch - the one you pull to turn on the headlights/parking lights.

The original switches go bad over time, and are actually a fire hazard. Replace it with a new one, preferably a Motorcraft, and it should fix the issue.

Had the same problem with mine a few years ago. It's the switch for sure. Replace it.

Got all the stuff in the mail to replace the wiring harness and add relays to the headlights, new headlight switch and bulbs. While I was at it I went ahead and picked up two new sets of off road lights, plus wiring and switches. This weekend was supposed to be spend replacing all that stuff. Instead I woke up to a flat tire (not fixable) and a wrong size spare. I get to spend the day tracking down a set of tires I can afford. Yay.
It's always something.

Back