Headlights went out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlights went out.

Alex from GA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer
On the freeway tonight the headlights blinked a couple of times then came back on. A couple of miles later they went off for a longer time then went out altogether. I followed a car for a while trying the high beams and low beams with no results then I pulled back on the high beam stalk and the lights came on. I could tell by the radio and heater lights that if I released the stalk the light would go out. After about 10 more miles the dash lights went to the dim mode and the lights worked as normal the rest of the way home about 15 more minutes. I did turn the light switch on after they came back on so I don't know if that helped or not. They're automatic headlights. What should I look at to be the problem. I'm old and usually don't drive at night but when I do the lights must work. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try putting the auto headlights in the off position. (All the way left) and testing them out with the manual switch during the next few daylight trips you make. You could have a failing photocell or automirror.

Do you have/use the Auto Lamps option (slide switch under the rear view mirror)? If not my guess is that your headlight switch is your problem. Not very hard to replace if your a DIY'er.

When mine went south it turned out to be the manual switch itself.

It was on the automatic function when the lights went out and I never tried the manual switch until they came back on. Is the photocell in the mirror? I know if I slide the mirror switch to the driver's side the lights stay on for a longer time when the engine is shut off.

It was on the automatic function when the lights went out and I never tried the manual switch until they came back on. Is the photocell in the mirror? I know if I slide the mirror switch to the driver's side the lights stay on for a longer time when the engine is shut off.

Sliding the switch to the passenger side increases the length of time the light's stay on and yes there's a photo cell on the back side of the mirror. One guy here had trouble for years until he figured out that a sticker he's stuck to the inside of his windshield behind the mirror was blocking the photo cell.

Closure. Fixed the manual switch yesterday, epoxied it to the dash panel. Tonight the automatic lights wouldn't come on so I turned on the manual switch and the lights worked. When I arrived home I turned the lights off and jiggled the slider on the mirror and the lights came on. It's probably not getting repaired as long as I have lights.

I had this issue in a dark green 01 I sold this summer past, ended up my solution was just unplug the connector off the back of the mirror and using the manual switch,, worked great.

Back