Heard a pop & a flap slap shut, now air flow is very weak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heard a pop & a flap slap shut, now air flow is very weak

Marble68

Reaction score
City, State
Corinth
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi all -

First, I'm new to the forum and not the most knowledgeable about working on the climate system - so i please ask for your patience and forgiveness my ignorance in advance.

I've got a 2003 Ford Explorer with dual automatic air control.

Yesterday, I had the AC on full blast, and I heard a pop and a vent slam shut. Air flow from the vents all but ceased. Some air still comes out, but not much. I can change it from heat to cool and nothing changes. Also, neither does defrost or floor alter the volume of air that's moving.

What should I check? Maybe a vacuum hose came off, or a pin on an actuator broke? I don't know where to look.

I've opened by glove bock and dropped it down - and I see a large black blower motor.

I'm in Texas and we're looking 100+ temps all next week, so my goal at this point is just to get the air flowing! haha

Any tips, advice, or links are most appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fresh air door broke and fell, blocking the blower motor intake. Do a search for "fresh air door" and you will find lots of help.

Mine fell down a while ago, so I cut a hole in the HVAC mesh to remove it.
When Winter arrived, cold air leaked in, so I just put tape around the mesh.
I'd like to replace it, so I can use the re-circ feature in Summer.

Mine fell down a while ago, so I cut a hole in the HVAC mesh to remove it.
When Winter arrived, cold air leaked in, so I just put tape around the mesh.
I'd like to replace it, so I can use the re-circ feature in Summer.

At the end of the thread refereced above I listed how I replaced the door. Activate the recirc button first so you can verify the movement of the lever. This spring when I did it a second time to glue the pin on, I found that removing the metal brace ( #14 in the illustration) made it a lot easier to get to the bolts holding the vac canister. Also know the activation lever needs to be attached to the pin when the pin is inserted. **** Important to note if putting glue on the pin****

^^^ I'll look at that ... thanks.

Back