Heat and AC vents restricted weak airflow | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heat and AC vents restricted weak airflow

efiles123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
I have a 1999 explorer and the heat and AC vents are only blowing at about 50%. I’ve checked the door actuator thing behind the glove compartment along with a bunch of vacuum lines and everything is ok. Also tried replacing the electrical unit located behind the switch that controls locations of airflow. I changed the blower motor about a year and didn’t have a new seal so I made my own seal which seems to work fine without any noticeable leaks where it mounts. Not sure if I should try replacing with an OEM seal. Anyone have any ideas of what else to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need to remove the evap housing and clean all the crud out of it that has built up over the years. I think you'll be surprised when you do.

Sounds like you need to remove the evap housing and clean all the crud out of it that has built up over the years. I think you'll be surprised when you do.

thanks for the advice! Thinking about replacing the seal for the blower motor so I’ll clean the evaporator housing while I have it apart. Just saw a video on YouTube and it looks pretty easy.

Yep, I agree, your evaporator is probably clogged with crap. I just went through this.

Get some of that canned evaporator cleaner with the little straw attached to it so you can really inject the solvent where it needs to go.

Yep, I agree, your evaporator is probably clogged with crap. I just went through this.

Get some of that canned evaporator cleaner with the little straw attached to it so you can really inject the solvent where it needs to go.

yep it turned out the evaporator was clogged with hair and gunk that mice brought in. There was an entire layer that coated the unit. Removed what I could with a wire brush and vacuum then sprayed an entire can of cleaner. Now my fan blows fine! Thanks for the help guys!

Back