• Register Today It's free!

Heat doesn't get hot. Thermostat?

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hey guys. The answer to my question may be obvious to some of you guys, but I'm not much on vehicle heating and cooling. During the summer, my thermostat went bad and was causing all sorts of overheating problems for my truck. Long story short, I removed the thermostat and ran (and currently running) with no thermostat. I will perhaps replace it one day.

Question is, by running without a thermostat, will that cause the heat to not get very hot? The heat seems to take a long time to heat up, and even when it's maxed and the truck has been running for a while, the heat doesn't get very warm. Would installing a thermostat help? Could the lack of a thermostat be causing the lack of heat.

Thanks guys.

Have you checked your a/c's coolant level? Also have your Heater Control Valve and Heater Core.

shouldn't be a problem in the summer, but yes no thermostat will make the heat not feel as warm. because your coolant is just free flowing. also it dosent allow your motor to fully get to a decent operating temp.

get yourself a new thermostat, or throw some cardboard in front of the radiator lol

Back