• Register Today It's free!

Heat isn't so very hot

bstone

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT 4wd 4dr
I have been noticing recently that the heat is not as hot as it once was. In fact it's down right luke warm.

93 Explorer XLT.

The fan motor and squirrel cage were replaced about 2 years ago and both work fine. Perhaps it's the thermostat, but I don't know where it is or how to replace.

Advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the thermostat is right behind the radiator connected to a hose

Before you replace the Tstat, what is the temp gauge reading? If it's reading normal, I doubt if it's the Tstat. Could be a clogged heater core. If so, try backflushing it.

Which temp gauge reading? The one on the dash? Always seems normal.

The temp gauge on the dash reads normal....then I'd be doing a flush.

If the temp gauge on the dash was reading "cold" all the time or majority of the time.........I'd be thinking replacement of thermostat.

But, being that it's winter, "cold" is relative, now. And, I ASSUME that the gauge works.

Aloha, Mark

Can you detail for me how to do a flush and what it entrails?

Short Story..............

Method #1:

Install kit, like that from Prestone and follow directions. Some auto parts stores have the "T" fitting, alone......cheaper then the kit......though, don't forget to get the clamps.

Method #2:

Use chemical flush....find at local auto parts store....ask clerk. Most are, just add to collant system.....run for required time then drain*.....fill and drain, fill and drain, repeat untill you see clear water. Once you see clear water, drain one last time and don't forget to reconnect the hoses or re-plug the drain plug......then, refill with anti-freeze mixture. Burrp the air out of the system, (watch the level in the radiator w/ engine running, it will drop suddenly as the thermostat opens) refill as needed, watch for leaks. You're done.

If you got leaks.......that's another subject.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......*Anti-freez should be disposed of, in an approved manner.....local laws apply.

Back