• Register Today It's free!

Heat Shield Rattles!

MrBill

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I have a '94 Eddie Bauer 4X4 which was purchased used. When the engine is idling, there has been a terrible rattling sound coming from under the car. I searched the forum and found messages referring to noisey heat shields. So I checked under the car and found this shield about mid-car and wrapped around the exhaust pipe. There was a short length of #17 galvenized wire wrapped around it, but time and mileage had loosened the wire. I tightened it up and the noise went away. But then I'm sure that the noise will start up again in a month or two. :(

I can see that this heat shield is similar to two halves of a large tin can, and that these halves were spot-welded together. At least 2 of the welds were broken, which is why it got noisey the first time . . . bad design Ford! :mad: Anyway, next time the noise starts up would I do any damage to the car (or passengers) if I were to simply remove this shield? If this is not a good idea, does anyone have any idea of something that would secure the two halves of the shield together tightly and last longer than than wire?

TIA, Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On one of the shields I was able to put a stainless steel hose clamp around it. That worked until it the shield cracked in half :( I have been running without it now for a few years.

The welds on the heat shields on both my cats broke over the last year or so. I just ripped both of them off and it's been fine.

Mike

I recently replaced all the hose clamps holding my covers on. I'll keep em on until the covers crack and break off and then leave them off.

The shields have been off mine for about two years now. No problems since taking them off.

Ford had a pamphlet a while ago showing how to put on metal straps to hold them on.

Maybe a Ford dealer will give you the straps for free(yeah right):rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for your replies . . . next time the heat shield starts getting noisy, I'll simply remove it.

MrBill

Back