heater hose woes | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heater hose woes

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm reading this as you asked one Ford dealer to contact the other Ford dealer that installed it incorrectly and counted on him to argue your case. That is not likely to happen to your benefit.
Mine does have a standoff that fits into a spot on the valve cover (I think - at least somewhere close to that) that pitches it toward the strut tower which takes it away from the exhaust manifold.
If you haven't contacted the installing dealer yourself then you haven't even started to fight this yet. They will brush you off, but you can escalate and you have another dealer that said it was an install error. Will he admit that to Ford? Who knows - but push hard because they have records which show one of their dealers worked on it last. I repeat - they have records that show one of their dealers worked on it last. They charge a mint for their services - because supposedly they stand behind their repairs. Take them up on their higher prices means peace of mind (according to them).

This involves a dealer thousands of miles away. I'm not about to get on the phone and wait on hold then argue my case long distance. They have no opportunity to see the faulty install. It's a long shot any way you look at it. They will accuse me of tampering with it because they have no proof otherwise. Even my local dealer was beginning to brush me off saying that it would have burned through a lot sooner.

As for the standoff, that is in place on mine, but it doesn't protect the hose that goes from the "Y" to the rear heater hose. That is held away by how it's aligned on the rear heater pipe. If that moves over time due to vibration, it could contact the exhaust manifold, as it did in my case. In fact, it could have been installed correctly at Villa Ford, but shifted over time. If this is the case, I'd say it is a design flaw from Ford. Given they don't make this design anymore (no more 4.6L Explorers), Ford would have no interest in correcting this.

And, I did try to contact the dealer in Villa via e-mail, but they did not return my call. My local dealer also tried contacting them and got no response. All in all, I can repair this myself for about $70 USD plus my time. If the loss of coolant had destroyed the engine, then I'd take this fight on, but I have no time to do this. I'm sure all dealers know this. Ford isn't alone in this either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Ex has a plastic standoff on the hose assembly - it is hard to describe but it mounts to the engine and it pushes the hose assembly away from the engine.

We were posting at the same time.
The hoses will not rotate after assembly. The clamp force that makes them water tight would not allow that.
It was screwed from their replacement.
When I replaced my tee, I pulled the whole assembly out and replaced it on my floor. I was very careful to align everything the same way it was. No part of my hose touches my manifold.
I'm not trying to bust your chops - not everyone wants to fight an almost unwinnable battle. They screwed up and unfortunately you have to be a complete ass about it even when you are right. It's not my thing either - but I wanted to point out that it was an option because you are right.

Yeah, I could fight this. I've gotta pick my battles and I need energy for other battles!

You're not busting my chops here. If you say that it's not possible for the hose to rotate on the pipe once clamped down, I'll believe you. After all, the original hose lasted 10 years.

Yeah, I could fight this. I've gotta pick my battles and I need energy for other battles!

Yeah - I think that's why most of us are here and everywhere else on the web looking for help to fix our stuff. We get tired of every transaction potentially turning into a battle when it doesn't get fixed right. I've actually gotten to the point where I think there is only about a 25% chance (I'm being generous) that they will do at least an equal job that I could do and I admit that I could never make a living as a mechanic.

In general, dealership service has been better than independent garages. I've had work done that almost killed me: new ball joint not torqued down, falling out; camber alignment bolts not torqued down, grease on disk brakes...

But I'll admit I'd get let go in any shop because I'm too slow.

Temporary repair is complete. I used a few inches of 5/8" hose, coupler, and clamps. I attached the old heat sleeve onto the hose, so it should last until I have time to complete the repair. Now I can get onto a leaking heater hose on my Tahoe.

(If it isn't one thing, it's another....)

I've been keeping the radiator cap on the first "detent" to keep the pressure low on my repair. I got worried when I saw coolant pooling around the top tank of the radiator. For awhile I thought my new radiator from last summer had blown already.

I put the coolant pressure tester on it last night and did find a leak, but not where I expected. It was in the coolant intake hose connection. There is currently a screw band clamp on it, so a half turn on the screw stopped the leak. It held 18 psi overnight, so all is good for now.

Anyone trying to diagnose a cooling system should have a coolant pressure tester on hand. It has been a fantastic tool and has paid for itself many times over for me.

Funny,
I shared my story on a review site. A manager responded within 2 hours asking me to discuss the issue with him, so I thought great! I replied to the e-mail that night. Almost 2 weeks later no reply from the e-mail. The whole reaching out by dealers on these review sites is a sham. They only want the image of helping out. I'm sure the same thing exists on some forums when managers respond to concerned owner's posts. It's all image, but no real help.

Not that I expected any different.

These coolant leaks are starting to drive me insane.

Last summer it was a radiator, then the heater hose.

This fall it was the radiator cap.

This spring, it was the same heater hose (current story)

Last week it was the lower rad hose, but some one put a screw-band clamp which don't hold constant pressure. Tightened and fixed for now.

Now my repair has started to leak. If you read the previous posts, it was a temporary repair, so I'm not entirely surprised, but I am somewhat surprised. I had the coolant pressure tester on it last weekend and it held 20 psi overnight. The radiator cap is 16 psi, and now it started to leak at the pipe going to the rear heat. Admittedly, my repair will have put an awkward twist to the hose, and Ford uses a hose with an inner diameter slightly smaller than 5/8", the common heater hose you can buy, which is the hose I am using for the temporary repair. It will be okay as long as I leave the radiator cap backed off a detent to keep the pressure low until I can do the proper repair.

Looks like the proper repair will be done sooner than later. It never ends with this coolant system.

What next.

Sorry, just had to vent some steam.

Okay, I'm about to have my own meltdown. . . :angryfire:

The Dorman 626551 which is supposed to fit 06-10 Explorers with rear heat does NOT fit. The end going onto the rear heater line is far too large.

Original hose:
ID end 1 = 0.7" (to manifold)
ID end 2 = 0.58" (to front heater core line)
ID end 3 = 0.58" (to rear heater core line)

Dorman hose:
ID end 1 = 0.7" (to manifold)
ID end 2 = 0.58" (to front heater core line)
ID end 3 = 0.7" (to rear heater core line)

What the heck is going on?

Had to install Ford part. Cost of part = $500 Canadian. Back together, no leaks for now, but haven't pressure tested it yet. I want to make sure all the air is bled out first.

Jawit, this is the equivalent Dorman hose: More Information for DORMAN 626551

Thanks PL. I noticed there are supports for the hose near the front of the engine to prevent it from contacting the exhaust manifold, but there was nothing after the Y. I wonder if there were originally supports for the hose in that part? Did they break off? Did any exist at all? Knowing this, I will look at the repair after and see if I need to tie it back or not.

I have yet to talk to the Ford service manager, but they do honor warrantee service from US Ford dealers. I found my invoice, so I should be good. Interestingly, they said that if it was a faulty install, they may not cover the part. I think they should cover it, given that the faulty install may have caused the part failure. Then there's the issue of a tow. I'm not driving it at all until. The coolant just pours out the hose. I wonder if Ford will tow it in for me? Then there's the loaner car....
Shoot if the Canada guys charge for the part failure, ask them to contact the dealer that did the repair and charge them for it. Or you could asK as well once they have a confirmed diagnosis.

Shoot if the Canada guys charge for the part failure, ask them to contact the dealer that did the repair and charge them for it. Or you could asK as well once they have a confirmed diagnosis.
They did try to contact the dealer in LA. They did not return then call. It was deemed an installation error, not part failure, so I was stuck. I tried leaving a review on a review website that contained other reviews for the dealership. My review was removed even though I attached photo evidence of the failure and dates the vehicle was serviced.

Back