• Register Today It's free!

heater problem

Frankcuda

Reaction score
City, State
Chardon Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Ok Im new at this so bear with me. I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with the third row seat and the third row heater cintrols. I bought the car about three months ago. Everything was fine until it started getting really cold. If you start the car and let it warm up the heat wont get warm. It blows air and everyhting but its not warm. Heres where I get confused, as soon as you tap the gas it warms right up, but if you just tap the gas for about 10 seconds it only gets warmn for about a minute then blows cold again. Now once you get in and start driving its always warm. It seems like it would be a vacuum leak but Im not sure and if it is where would I look??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

odd heater problem

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT with the third row seat and the third row heater cintrols. I bought the car about three months ago. Everything was fine until it started getting really cold. If you start the car and let it warm up the heat wont get warm. It blows air and everyhting but its not warm. Heres where I get confused, as soon as you tap the gas it warms right up, but if you just tap the gas for about 10 seconds it only gets warmn for about a minute then blows cold again. Now once you get in and start driving its always warm. It seems like it would be a vacuum leak but Im not sure and if it is where would I look. I also hear a lot about the blend door being an issue on the explorers but everyone that has a blend door problem doesnt get heat at all, so Im not sure what to think??

sound like a problem with the heater bypass valve located on the cooling lines between the heater core and the radiator. They are vacuum controled and are supposed to shut off the flow of coolant when the heat selector is set to cool. Maybe it is malfunctioning :dunno:

I would check the vacuum line for leaks and hook a vacuum gauge up to the line and see if it is functioning properly.

Hi
This thread will seem a bit confusing up to this point, since I merged the 2 threads-
Frankcuda-welcome to the forum. It takes a while to get the hang of things-please don't double post questions.

Thanks and enjoy!!

Back