Hello everyone. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello everyone.

jkilmurray

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Hello all, I just purchased a white 2015 sport. Brand new, adaptive cruise, rear buckets and console. Sad to say, but I am pretty disappointed in this thing. We had been looking at limiteds but she decided she wanted a sport. I just assumed that since it was a higher trim level than the limited, it would have most of the same features. I drove a newer limited for a few days when we were looking and really liked all the safety features. On the way home from the dealer, it started to rain. No rain sensing wipers, then I tried to show her the lane departure, not there either. Got dark, no hid lights. I know I'm the idiot for not researching first, but come on, I just assumed it would since they both had the highest trim package on both (302a and 401a). I really like our sport, but couldn't they have offered another package with those options?

I started searching around here last night looking for ideas on what to do it first. I know hid's are one of the first things, I read a lot about them last night. There are a lot of people with a lot of opinions about it here. And I'm really wanting to convert all the interior over to led. I have switched all my previous vehicles and this explorer seems like it is quite a task with that 3rd row light. Ford has to be difficult with the puddle lamps too, but oh well.

Anyways, I look foward to all the help and advice (and criticism) from this forum. Thanks for having me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UH, or maybe DUH! Here's your first criticism:

You're disappointment is not with the vehicle, but rather in you're choice(s).

Maybe it would be beneficial for you to own up to not actually buying the one with the options you wanted, as opposed to blaming the vehicle for not having those options. FYI, it's not like the lack of those options were somehow hidden from you until you signed on the dotted line. The window sticker does indicate everything those packages come with, by the way. Oh yeah, the Limited is the flagship with all the available options. The Sport sticker reflects it's motor and suspension package along with the fact it's slightly more rare.

Welcome to the forum!

I did own up to own up to my mistake, hence me calling myself an idiot. I assumed, incorrectly, that the sport with every option except summer tires would have the same features as a limited with every option. I didn't take the time to read the sticker, or check the features. I still like the explorer, just kind of a let down, especially for what it costs.

Welcome to the Forum jkilmurray. :wavey:
It has been discussed here before as to which is the top model. Although the Sport has a higher price, mainly because of the engine, the Limited has more features as you have discovered. The Limited also has more standard features that are optional on the Sport. The Ford.com website is a great source to check that out and also allows you to 'Build & Price' your vehicle before going to see a dealership. Doing your 'homework' ahead of time can help avoid disappointment later on. Unfortunately not all sales people are on top of features as well, so that makes it all the more important to get as much info before hand.

Peter

I researched and built both limiteds and sports. I just made the assumption that they were on there. And you know what happens when you make an assumption, you make an [MENTION=127576]ss[/MENTION] of u and mption. LOL

I researched and built both limiteds and sports. I just made the assumption that they were on there. And you know what happens when you make an assumption, you make an [MENTION=127576]ss[/MENTION] of u and mption. LOL
Well at least you still have your sense of humour.:thumbsup: Good luck with the Sport and Happy Motoring.:)

Peter

I don't think you're the only one thats made this mistake :D

The best thing to do is make a list of all the options you must have when shopping for a car and confirm it with the salesman AND window stickers.

Even though you are missing a few things I still think you'll enjoy all the extra power :)

I think many folks make the mistake that the Sport and Limited are in the same progression of options from the XLT, when in reality it is a split in different directions.

Maybe Ford should have offered all the Limited options in the Sport Model and called it the Super Sport. :)

Maybe Ford should have offered all the Limited options in the Sport Model and called it the Super Sport. :)
+1 on the Super Sport. I'm not sure that even the Platinum has the Sport steering ratio and suspension mods (or if Platinum buyers would even want these options).

Doesn't sound as if JKil's dealer offered much counsel on going with the Sport vs Limited either. Some of the salesman I spoke with while searching for my explo were not necessarily the most knowledgable regarding the Sport content.

Paying more for engine...suspension...steering...wheels (probably) ect. Has so many options but ya limited has a bit more...you will still like it

+1 on the Super Sport. I'm not sure that even the Platinum has the Sport steering ratio and suspension mods (or if Platinum buyers would even want these options).

Doesn't sound as if JKil's dealer offered much counsel on going with the Sport vs Limited either. Some of the salesman I spoke with while searching for my explo were not necessarily the most knowledgable regarding the Sport content.
I believe I read in some of the articles about the Platinum that the suspension was retuned/changed somewhat. I'll have to see if I can find that.
There seemed to be a real lack of knowledge of sales people's part when the 5th gen first came out. Even my salesman acknowledged that I knew more about the vehicle then he did.

Peter

The salesman told me that the hill descent was cruise control for going down a hill

The salesman told me that the hill descent was cruise control for going down a hill
Well that is sort of correct but it won't help going uphill.:D

Peter

I think salesman jump around quite a bit to different dealers and makes - basically following the money. If you have a good track record, you can earn more when you get a new job at the *next* dealership. As a result, they don't know that much about the car they are selling.

But some dealers are actually getting rid of commission sales people and actually hiring customer service types (with no auto background) that handle sales via digital media and doing media demos with kiosks set up at the dealer. With all the info on auto websites, many customers know more about the car than any sales people and have all the sales/price data.

I think this also dovetails with structured pricing like Ford's X-plan - less negotiation and more facilitation. Easier to complete the sale and a good sales experience helps keep the customer for service work (more lucrative) than another nearby dealer.

Despite these missing options it is a great vehicle overall. I have had mine since Nov 12 and am looking to order a 16 Sport.

I had a salesperson ask me what type of engine I wanted in my Sport today and I was like uh there is only one.

Adding some of the things you want aren't all that hard, and if you run into trouble there is a great group of people here to help. I agree that it would make sense for the Sport to have all the bells and whistles, especially for the price. HID's, interior LED's both can be added without that much trouble. There are a couple great threads with LOTS of information in the Modified section, one for adding HID's and one for changing interior lights to LED's. In the LED thread check out page 13, post number 256 for a detailed how to on soldering in a new LED to the second and third row lights as well as puddle lights.

Thanks. I've read damn near that whole thread and the dome light mod seems a little out of my comfort zone as far as ability goes. I'm thinking about trying the puddle light mid though.

I too was annoyed at the lack of features vs. the limited. I dove into a Sport with "most" of these omissions at the forefront of my mind so ultimately I wasn't disappointed with my purchase. However, the lack of HID headlights was a surprise in that I was informed it came with them beforehand. One of the first things I did was add them myself and I'm convinced they're as good as or better than the OEM Limited HIDs.

Hope you enjoy your Sport despite the shortcomings!!

Tony

OP, you'll like your Sport... I drove a Limited for 3 weeks while my Jeep was in the shop getting repaired after getting rearended on the freeway. I liked the Limited so much that I started researching Explorers a couple days after I started driving it. I knew that not All the bells and whistles on the Limited were available on the Sport I bought but the Sport I ended up with is pretty much stacked! And the 3.5L twin turbo brings a nice smile to my face when I need it; and even when I don't. The handling difference from the Sport is quite a bit tighter/razor like than the Limited I drove as well. The Sport feels a lot like my first sport car rather than a SUV. Plus the Sport has the huge sun roof, TOW package, and the shift paddles on the steering wheel that the Limited I drove didn't have. After you drive it for a couple of weeks I bet you will forget all about the Limited!:burnout:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back