• Register Today It's free!

Hello explo owners

Myexplorjj

Reaction score
City, State
Mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
Yet another tranny cooler line is leaking I think from in front of the the radiator? Can or is there a way to re-route the tranny cooler lines? My explorer has a stock tranny cooler I guess it's for the towing package... I don't tow. I think it's possible I'm just weary about a possible higher pressure tranny line on the upper drivers side of the radiator. Any help is appreciated (winter is here just need to make it to spring)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. We have had 3 Explorer Sports, & 3 Rangers & every one of them the cooler lines rust were the retainer clips hold the lines under the radiator, it even happened on my wife's 08 Escape. What I did on my Ranger was I removed the rubber line from the aux cooler to the metal line & cut off the rusted part & purchased a longer piece of rubber line (made for trans fluid) & installed it.

So the leak is coming from the fitting on the rad any thoughts on just running the line around the radiator and directly into the cooler? I can't see why the lines go through it in the first place. Plug the holes in the radiator on both sides (front and back) and call it a day. There are 2 lines that run through the drivers side of the rad these I hope have no connection to the passenger side I'm working on.

No the leak is not from the radiator, there are 2 metal clips that hold the metal line IIRC it is on the bottom of the radiator support & the lines rust out right where the lines go through the metal retainer clips. I would get you a pic but I have a skid plate on my Ranger.

Your right I took the lower fan shroud off it does just loop under. The hard line has already been cut and replaced with rubber tranny line and held with hose claps. every thing looked to be ok. I cleaned the connections and snugged the clamps a little. I tried to start it and see the leak but nothing. any idea the pressure in the lines when driving? Any way going to keep an eye on it.

Back