HELP : 06.21.05 : tranny just went out (near El Paso, I live in Phx) in my 94 EB 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP : 06.21.05 : tranny just went out (near El Paso, I live in Phx) in my 94 EB 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Metro Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 E.B. 4x4
Hi folks. I could use some help/advice pronto...

As I mentioned in one of the other forums here, I just bought a 94 EB 4x4. I was in the process of driving it from Alabama to Arizona, when all of a sudden (after 1100 problem free miles in the last two days) everything went from great to crap...

Chronology goes like this:

* Drove approximately 1100 problem free miles in two days, from Birmingham, AL to about 150 miles east of El Paso (aka NOWHERE).

* Noticed white smoke coming from vehicle

* About 3 minutes later, after watching the smoke, guages, listening to vehicle, noticing the RPMs increasing while my speed decreased, etc, I pulled over - put the vehicle in park, turned it off, got out and looked underneath to find tranny fluid dripping.

* Got back in vehicle, started it, put it in drive (just to see what would happen) - and it may as well have been in Neutral... nothing engaged.

* Fast forward a few hours of waiting and a LONG tow truck ride and I dropped it off at an AAMCO in El Paso - this was this past Friday...

* Today they said - it basically needs replacing, including the pump, and somehow the tranny case itself is damaged (perhaps from heat). They've quoted me $1900 to fix it.

Now, part of the problem is that I live in Phoenix and had to fly back home from El Paso this past Friday night, leaving the truck with the folks at AAMCO. So all of this is happening long distance.

Anyone have any feedback about this specific AAMCO location (on E. Missouri in El Paso)? Granted the guy I'm dealing with -seems- nice and honest enough, but you never know, and I'm certainly no mechanic.

Anyone know a solid, trustworthy independent mechanic in El Paso? How about a trustworthy Ford dealership?

Anyone have any relevant good advice in general?

Thanks.

Fly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Case damage from what? on external inspection? You overheated the trannie and it boiled over onto the manifold.... hence the white smoke. I bet if it was refilled with ATF it would drive a ways. I'd go with a FORD reman at a dealer before I'd do the AAMCO thing, sorry, just my opinion.

> Case damage from what?

the assertion at this point, I believe, is that it's from heat. It'll be tomorrow before I have a copy of the quote in hand.

> on external inspection?

no, supposedly they took it apart today.

"hook set, reeled in". They got you. Let us know what they tell you. I am a skeptic, and fear $1900 is only a start.

ps. if they offer an extended warranty, BUY IT.

They have it in pieces...oh boy...You are kinda in a bind....having to do this the long distance way is not a good thing for sure........I agree with what Glacier991 said....they will give you some kind of warranty, check and see if you can get an extended type, after the intitial one expires and get them to ( LOCK ) in their price while not letting them badger you into a corner with some mechanical verbage!

Good luck!!

Back