HELP! 1992 won't start

zach9989

Reaction score
City, State
Seneca Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer EB 4X4
I have a 4.0 92 EB 4X4 and it won't start :fire:

I replaced all of the plugs and wires. I replaced the ignition coil pack. The engine turns over, but WILL NOT START. I have not experienced any problems with fuel delivery, but I have -FAILED- to get a spark, even with new coil, plugs, and wires.

Can anybody tell me what to check, how to check it... whatever? I need my truck back, please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

somebody PLEASE help, I am desperate, and haven't the money to have it towed and diagnosed at a dealer on a saturday night...

if you have any questions, please do ask.

Are sure you are getting fuel delivery? When you turn the key to ON, you should hear the fuel pump prime for a second or 2. If not, start with the fuel pump relay.

I'll check that, but I'm not getting spark. I just got back from having the ignition module tested and it checked out good. I will check the fuel pump relay, etc etc in the morning cause the battery is dead now from trying.

Check your camshaft, and crankshaft position sensors. Put a ratchet wrench onto one of your pullies, and crank the engine manually. If those sensors are functioning properly, you will hear your fuel pump prime everytime you turn the pulley.

Any codes in the computer? I wouldn't be surprised to find CM 2xx codes in there that could point to problems in the ICM, wiring, and associated sensors.
How have you verified fuel delivery? No spark couldl be caused by problems in the power supply to the main computer, but that would also effect operation of the fuel pump and the fuel injectors. Make sure the main computer has power. While you're at it, make sure the ICM has power and ground.

Well, it is not confirmed that I am getting fuel. I am not hearing the pump come on now that I've checked it another 1000 times. I pulled the fuel fuse and it isn't different than if it was in, but it isn't blown. What is the next step I need to take from this point.... no spark, no fuel pump priming? What are the odds it is the computer, and what is the best way to check whether the computer is getting power?

Thanks for all the help guys.

So the fault condition appears to be no spark AND no fuel. Definitely look into the computer's power supply. Is the EEC fuse blown? Then get a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and see if/where the red wire that goes from the EEC relay to the computer/fuelinjectors/ICM/fuel pump relay/etc./etc. has power everwhere.

Still an issue!

I am going to check the wiring/ecc soon. I do believe I heard the fuel pump come on when I tried it again last night, nothing else I can think of humms for a second then goes away. The fact that there is no spark is still 100% as my friend tested with a screwdriver while i cranked it and got nothing. I talked to a Ford technician on the telephone and he had no idea, said the computer is rarely a problem, but I am going to check the power supply lines, as that could be an issue. Thanks for all the help...

Anybody else got any more ideas, and more info you want/need to help? I appreciate it all.

probably a relay or corrosion in the distro box.

Check for correct voltage at your coil pack, easily done, just disconnect the capacitor that's beside it and carefully read the voltage. Mine was 3 volts off and was caused by a bad ignition switch. This on and off problem stumped me for months. A $10.00 fix but what a hunt, good luck.

How do you know you are getting spark?

i would bet it is your ground wires. i had the exact same prob on a 92. ther should be two black wires and one larg ground wire comeing off your battery termanal fallow the smaler wires tel you find a plug splice it should be within a foot of the bat termanal pull them apart i bet they are coroded cut them out and soder them together elimanting the splices ther are two one on each wire good luck

Yes, hold your laughter for later.

I found the problem, bad fuse... here's the funny part:

When I first had the problem, I checked the fuses and didn't notice a tiny break in one of them (the problem). It was the fuel relay fuse... I swapped it with the EEC fuse for the hell of it because they were the same amp, and this was before I realized that EEC means Electronic Engine Control. So that explains why it still wouldn't work and the symptoms changed.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be taking a closer look at my fuses from now on.

Back