• Register Today It's free!

HELP!!! 4X4 Tranny in a 2WD X

Mr.snuggles

Reaction score
City, State
Prescott,AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92AutoSport
Hi there, I have a 92 auto sport, and the tranny and/or torque converter are bad...My question is this: I bought a tranny out of a 93 4x4, and was wondering if it will bolt right up. I am in the process of buying a torque converter from eBay here, and when i called the technical service number listed he said that a 4x4 tranny's output shaft is different, and will not work with a 2wd! :eek: I have talked to several people before this, and was told that all that i needed to do is swap out the extension housing, and i would be good. Any help would be appreciated, cause i need to get this bugger in :D :( ! Thanx
>>Garrett

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You MIGHT have to swap out the output shaft from the 2wd version into your new trans. This would require completel dis-assembly of the trans.

I do not think the tail housing is the only thing that you change on the A4LD.
But you might try asking Glarcier911 on this forum, he will/should know the differences between the two trans....

Kewl...i pm'd him, now i am starting to look for rebuild kits...goddamit! It was already a PITA, before, and all i had to do was drop the tranny, and replace the torque converter. Oh well, thats what i get for not doing extensive research! Thanx
>>Garrett

Sorry. They use different output shafts. The output shaft is the LAST thing to come out of the case. May as well plan a rebuild. I recdommend you read ther A4LD Rebuild Diary to start before you buy anything.

DAMN :frustrate DAMN :banghead: DAMN :mad: DAMN :( DAMN!!!! Well now i am back to square one! Does anyone need a a4ld for a 4wd...cheap ;) ! And i will lookup the rebuild diary, i was just hoping i didn't have to rebuild. I wanted to rip out the tranny, and put in the "new" one the same day. Oh well Thanx a milliion guys! Definetley saved me a lot of time, and prolly a slit wrist :D
>>Garrett

Garrett,
You will not have a problem unloading that 4x4 tranny.

Have you considered a 4x4 conversion? hahahaha

Try posting your trans for sale here:
dezertrangers.com (CA/Az based board)

and on this forum

Can you not return your 93 trans for a 2wd version to the people you bought it from?

410Fortune said:
Garrett,

Can you not return your 93 trans for a 2wd version to the people you bought it from?

nah, i bought it for $50, from a guy off of craigslist az...he said he was a member here, so i am not gonna mention his name! He was a really cool guy, and i'm not mad at him. I emailed him, and told him, so if he wants to hook me up with something, then thats cool.
Also i know unloading, and loading the tranny isn't that bad, but now i have to either unload two trannies, or rebuild the one in my X...either way its time consuming, and damn near impossible to do at my apartment! All i wanted to do is get the ******* running so i could trade it in for a 98 5.0 eddie baurer at a local car lot. I don't want to dump $1500 or more to fix it, then trade it in for $1500! If i do it myself, then i save some money, and i get the satisfaction of rebuilding my tranny, but i work 45-55 hours a week, and have three kids. Its hard for me to do ANYTHING! Oh well i will figure it out!

A4LD is NOT the trans to learn how to build an auto with.

You can make $$$ on that $50 4x4 unit.
There are places who can build a reliable 2wd unit for you for $1000 or less, but if you are just looking to trade it in, then I would look for a used unit.

You could also locate a 2wd Bronco II, they had a dummy transfer case, you could then use your 4x4 trans and just modify your rear driveshaft :)

Back