help me please sheared the output shaft off manual 4x4. tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help me please sheared the output shaft off manual 4x4. tranny

mustang73351

Reaction score
City, State
warwick rhodeisland
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 ranger
So I bought a 97 explorer sport with control track 5speed Manuel no big deal it had a bad transfer case OK cool so I went to pull a part got 1 it was making a knocking noise so I brought it back and got another one well I put it in and everything seamed OK well not so much something let go in the tcase causing it to lock up and. Shear the output shaft off of the transmission question is is it the same output shaft found in the auto tranny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

It's a different shaft.

Is the Manuel twd the same as the fwd

Do you mean the 2WD vs the 4WD? I believe those are different shafts. There are also different versions of that transmission with different gear ratios and tooth counts on the shafts, so you need to find one from a 4.0L Explorer with matching tooth counts and spline counts.

Anybody have 1 for a reasonable price I'm in a bind here pull-a-part scraped the 1 I needed right b4 I got there

You do realize that is the main shaft? Trans has to come apart completely and all gears have to be removed along with syncros and hubs,bearings. Not a quick and easy fix.
Good luck.

Back