Derrick C.

Moderator Drinkin Corona
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Twin Falls, Idaho---------B.F.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 92 XL
A new member PMed me this ? and I couldn't answer it so I'm turning to you all to help him out. His login name is BettyFord so if you want to anwser it here or PM him its up to you.

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT (6 Cylinder) and therefore assume that it has a PATS II anti-theft system. This week I lost my keys and had one key made 4 days ago (I know that two to three keys are recommended, but that's the best I could do right now).

Today my mechanic was working on the door lock in which he only observed mechanical functions of the lock - nothing was replaced, moved or disconnected. Two hours after I left, I returned to my house for about half an hour. When I tried to leave again, my truck just "killed" and wouldn't start.

I can turn the key into a pre-ignition state (position 1 or two), just enough to turn the dash board warning lights on. However, I can then only proceed to turn the key about a quarter of a full extra turn position past that point. I feel that it should turn more, but can't remember if it actually does. At this point, the key cannot turn anymore. there is no clicking sounds, just the normal chimes and noises made by the warning lights on the dashboard prior to ignition.

The "Theft" light only comes on for three seconds and then vanishes. I tested the battery and check for electrical issues - but everything seemed fine (horn works, lights radio, etc.). Just an FYI, I occasionally connect a Walkman CD player to the cigarette lighter as I have for the past couple of days.

The locksmith who programmed the key insists that it is not the key - simply because the Theft light does not stay on. He advised me to find a "reset" button which would be very small and well hidden on the
driver's side. he said this should take care of my problem.

Is there such a button? Unfortunately, I bought this SUV used and although I received all the paperwork and manuals, I have no idea what he's talking about.

I searched for hours and could never find one. What should I do, please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No such button on the factory alarm, I do not believe.

Why was he messing with the locks?
Did he disconnect the battery?

You need to contact your nearest ford dealer.
PATS = PAin in The asS

My women has a 99 XLT and there is a factory kill type thingy. Her's is located right below the steering wheel by the hood latch. The engine kill thing has happened to us a couple of times, but that button with the red light fixes it everytime.

WannaBTrckmagik said:
My women has a 99 XLT and there is a factory kill type thingy. Her's is located right below the steering wheel by the hood latch. The engine kill thing has happened to us a couple of times, but that button with the red light fixes it everytime.

If there is, and I am not doubting you at all, its an aftermarket alarm.

A far fetched try but something to try that will not cost a cent. With the doors locked, put the key into the drivers door, turn the key twice to open the door without taking the key out. All the door locks may pop up to the open position. Now try to start it. It worked on my Maxima poss. it will work for you.

Back