help b4 my 97 blows daily to work car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help b4 my 97 blows daily to work car

badwolf007

Reaction score
City, State
pITTSBURGH,pA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EXPLORER SPORT
valvetapping both sides of my 4.0 SOHC 97 sport with rough idle and bucking at 40 mph smooths out at 46mph oil level and presure gauge shows good. Also going uphill the valve tapping changes to a sound like a fan hitting something. In lite of the uphill change how can I check the oil pressure gauge?
This began when I started the X up on a cold 20deg morning to go to work. Was fine on the way home the day before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This seems complex...

Well, I'm sure there is an answer for you here. I would like to know too because I've never heard of this before. Let's see who can crack this one...

Fellow poster

what weight oil are you using?? when did you last change the oil? Do you use a block heater???
can be a range of things from to heavy weight oil for the outside temp, to an oil pump going away.

Begin at the beginning continue until the end and then stop!

Fyi

I use Mobil 1 synthetic:D
I'm thinking Timing Chain tensioner

could very well be the tensioner as the symptoms make it seem like is got retarded timing, it coud also be real bad carbon deposits???

I use Mobil 1 synthetic:D
I'm thinking Timing Chain tensioner

What WEIGHT oil did you use. If to thick or to thin this could happen. It would look something Like 10w30 or 5w30 or hopefully not 20w50. Not likely with those symptoms thats your only problem but its a start to helping you.

oil

It was 5w30 changed with a performance rated ford oil filter 4 months ago. New question. what would the difference in sound and driveability be between a bad cam chain tensioner and timing chain tensioner?If you ever saw the movie (Flubber) when Fred McMurry flipped a switch to make the Model T sound like a Model T that is what my X sounds like at idle.:mad::confused:

Time to go with exploratory surgery and look at those tensioners.

Damn upper cam tensioner parts laying behind jackshaft chain.

Back