Help Broke Bottom Shock stud!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Broke Bottom Shock stud!!!

Oh happy day!, They didn't break off. Complete install all 4 in 1 hour. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

questions about shock removal and broken stud

Hi there,

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has suffered from this.

1. You can see the bolt is sheered. Do I simply unscrew the top bolt on the shock and then knock the bottom out, off the stud???

2. If I grind the stud off, am I at risk at causing a fire due to all the oil on and around the shock support area?

any further help and suggestions with this would be appreciated it. thanks

shock1.jpg

shock2.jpg

Get the shock back off and do what you have to, to get the broken stud off. I used a 4-1/2" grinding wheel, didn't take too long. If you are worried about fire, then make sure you have a hose handy. The stud is actually pretty soft for steel, you could probably use a hacksaw.

Once you are flush, some people can punch the last little part out. I had to drill a 1/2" hole. (Don't buy the drill bit at Orielly's, I did and it was dull right out of the box).

Get the shock stud kit... orielly's should have it on the hangers. You will see that the short threaded end of the kit goes through the radius arm, the hole you just made, and the long end goes through the shock. There will be a nut in the kit for the short end. I have found that this nut can come loose and disappear. If I were to do this again, I would buy a locknut with the nylon insert and use that instead of the nut they provide.

Future reference: Sometimes, it is possible to avoid a broken stud by wire-wheeling the exposed threads, soaking overnight with PB Blaster, or recipe of your choice. Next day, give it a couple of good knocks with a hammer and try to remove with a socket and breaker bar (rather than an impact gun). Go slow and keep spraying lube on it. If you have a nut breaker, it might not be a bad idea to just bust the nut and be done with it.

nice, a few more questions

awesome and timely response. thank you. I got a couple more follow up questions

I am still curious about how to actually get the bottom of the shock removed from the stud. Do I just knock it off with a mallet? I only ask, because I have been driving the truck around in the condition seen in the photo for a few weeks now and the shock is still in place.

Also, did you find the need to jack the car up and/or remove the front tire when doing this repair?

BTW, great tip and the lock washer, I will keep that in mind.

Just incase you still need pictures...

Works Great!!

Do I just knock it off with a mallet?
Yeah basically. Hammer it out, pull it, bang on it stand on it whatever way works to get it off. DO NOT drive like that all it takes is a good pot hole or some weathering to kick it loose & then you may have a problem while it it's motion.

Back