Help, buying body lift for 99 4dr have questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help, buying body lift for 99 4dr have questions

The lift is on!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce:
I'll get pics up shortly.

The rear bumper was a pain, but not all that bad. I drilled two holes. One through the frame and another through the new bumper bracket for each side. The bumper lines up great.

The only problems I had was the bolt for mount just in front of the drivers seat doesn't appear to be the right size, so I'll need to get a replacement. While tighting the bolts just behind the front seats, the bottom bushing is spinning, I can't figure out how to grap a hold of the bushing to tighten up the bolts good.

Anybody know what the torque specs are for the body mount bolts?

Thanks alot for all the help!!! :chug::chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by bigtigexplorer
The only problems I had was the bolt for mount just in front of the drivers seat doesn't appear to be the right size, so I'll need to get a replacement. While tighting the bolts just behind the front seats, the bottom bushing is spinning, I can't figure out how to grap a hold of the bushing to tighten up the bolts good.

Anybody know what the torque specs are for the body mount bolts?

maybe try some vise grips to hold it. i didn't have any spin on me, but maybe that would work? i'f your using bolts from the kit behind the seats... they won't work. the thread doesn't go up enough so you have probably screwed it into the bushing as far as the threads and that is what caused it to spin loose. if this is the case you have 3 choices:
1. drill out the bushing like you did for the core mount and use a longer bolt and a nut below the bushing.
2. put a thick washer or two under the bolt head
3. go get a new bolt or re-use one of the stock ones. i think one of the ones from the cargo are may be long enough to work in this spot.

torque specs.. as tight as you can get them! i don't know if there is a specific number. i didn't see one so i just tightened them as much as i could short of using a cheater bar.

You know, my dumb ass didn't even think of reusing any of the stock bolts. Thanks!

Can I run a 11.5" or 12.5" wide tire on a 8" rim?

Here are some pics:
4934im001107.jpg

4934im001109.jpg

4934im001113.jpg

Looks good, yeah you can run a 12.5" on an 8" rim

I wish my front bumper lined up as good as your did!

223222_107_full.jpg

How did you lift the body off the frame?
Did you have to use the steering extention kit?
Do you have the v6 or v8?(if the v8 got some more questions)

Thanks

SplashMan, Thanks for the pics.

Yomie, at first my bumper looked just like yours. I adjusted the studs on the bumper to their lowest postion and it lined up great.

WannaXP8, I used 2 4x4x12 inche wood blocks stacked ontop of a 3 ton floor jack. I just lined up the blocks just behind the pinch weld on either side under the rear door. I don't know if I HAD to use the steering extension, but I did and it went on just fine. One thing I did notice is that the steering is a little tighter than before, but thats a good thing in my book. I've got a v6.

The brushguard will be going back on in about a week, I've the local 4x4 shop fab some custom brackets to use with the BL. My X looks kinda wimpy without the guard:(.

Will I be able to run 33x12.50x15 without trimming?

If you do have to trim, it will be minimal trimming on the plastic

Yomie...what is your setup on there. I had thougt Iwas running almost the same as you but it looks like I,m going to have to trim an awful lot where it looks like you didn't.

What do you mean, where are you going to have to trim?

I have the TT/Shackles, 3" BL, 15x8" 3.75BS on 33x12.5's

its minimal as long as you consider plastic to be minimal. my 285s just under 33.25" diameter and close to 11.25" - 11.5" wide mounted. on stock wheels i didn't rub ANY after the BL except a few times when really compressing it offroad.
i put 1" spacers the other day and now i rub in reverse at full turn on flat terrain. i made a little ramp in my yard and disconnected the front bar. stuffed the front tire and turned and marked where it rubbed. when it was said and done.. i had to trim about 3" worth of the fenderwell lining completely off. it doesn't look bad at all and most folks would never notice.
i don't see how you guys with 12.5s and aftermarket wheels with less backspacing can pull off minimal trimming without rubbing. i would have rubbed all day offroad without trimming this setup.

i'll take a pic of it if you want chris.

Minimal cutting for me, i actually went overboard and didn't need to cut this much, total i ended up cutting off a 3"x2" piece, just the part that curves in on the rear of the fenderwell. And this pic was taken with only a 2" BL

this is 33x12.5R15's on 15x8 3.75BS

223222_108_full.jpg

You guys have probably heard this before, but it pisses me off.:fire:

I just called Discount Tire to get a quote for some 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KOs. Once I told the guy what vehicle they were for he said they couldn't sell me the tires. After speeking with the manager I was told that they would sell me the tires and mount/balance to the rim, but would NOT mount them to the vehicle.

Discount's price for 5, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KOs was $759.22

Tirerack.com's price for 5, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KOs was $774.65 (price includes shipping)

Anybody know of a good place to get tires from?

Iam running identically to you Yomie....But I am having to do some MAJOR trimming. I mean like a nice chunk of sheet metal out of the front back fender.

i guess all the molding on my sport causes some extra need for trimming for me. chris.. you shouldn't need sheet metal trimming! unless you just got some crazy backspacing.

although i did gring down some sharp edges that were exposed after i cut off some plastic.

bigtigexplorer, cant u get the tires from 4wheelparts or off road store? now i am scared of lifitng mine due to the fact taht people dont want to sell them to us, the explorer people. where does everyone get their tires from? if u are in dallas, tell me where.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've never run into these problems with tires. i also use small local shops though. hell one place mounted and balanced a tire for free for me just because i had a "bad ass explorer" and since he "ain't never seen someone jack up an explorer."

Back