Help diagnose: 2000 Mountaineer- front end crunching/popping on slow left turns | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help diagnose: 2000 Mountaineer- front end crunching/popping on slow left turns

centuryhouse

Reaction score
I just read the subject lines of the first 42 pages (!) of this forum, and read any that seemed applicable. I didn't find any exactly describing this issue, though CV joint sounds like a possibility...

Here it is:

At very slow speed though there is a crunching/popping sound when turning left (going either forward or backward).

The sound doesn't happen when sitting still. Sometimes there is a single 'clunk' when starting off accelerating after having made a left turn.

* At speeds over 5 mph or so I don't hear or feel any issue.

* The power steering does sometimes shudder when turning the wheel and at a dead stop, but it does not affect steering and this does not seem related.

* No such sound when turning the wheel right.

* The alignment is good, with no uneven wear on tires and no shaking or other unusual problems when driving.

Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stuck in 4wd?

sounds like you got yourself a bad cv joint.. thats my opinion... think they are like 60 bucks or something refurb from autozone.. rather easy to do if u got the tools

Check the transfercase fluid level. My explorer was doing the same thing. Since I'm so lazy I've postponed the transfercase output seal and let the fluid level diminish. It didn't get low enough to hurt anything that I can tell, but the clutches were dry enough to engage, locking it in 4wd while turning. I filled mine up, ran it, then changed the fluid for extra assurance. Hasn't done it since.

It's the front driver's side halfshaft or bearing. If it was the t-case, it wouldn't matter if it was a left or right turn. If it was mine, that's where I would spend my money...

-Joe

Back