HELP: Ideas for new subs and head unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP: Ideas for new subs and head unit

leetz

2wd All-Star
Reaction score
City, State
Miami, Florida (School) Va.Beach, VA (Home) Beaufort, N.C. (Home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Well I've had a hole in one of my orion 10 inch subs for about a month now, and it is really starting to bother me. The rear end of a paintball gun went right through the thin layer :( .
Anyways The constant buzzing is just driving me nuts of the plastic vibrating where it broke. The subs that I have are the old orions. Someone informed me that its owned by a different company now. And it would be hard to find a replacement. I'm looking for something comprable to what I had maybe even better. They were starting to not hit as hard as they were when I first got them (These subs I did not buy or install they came with my truck) I dont know alot about audio equipment, but I was hoping someone could direct to me the right choice as far as reliable companies to chose from and not too pricey. I recently replaced my front speakers with memphis audio speakers. I had diamond audio speaker seperates but they blew out, and I could not afford that good of a speaker again. These memphis audios sound just as good. I had to replace the amp for my eclipse mids and front speakers this was replaced with a phoenix gold amp. For my subs I have an Orion Xtreme200 amp. I dont know if these needs to be replaced, or if it is suitable enough for the newer subs. It is probably about 4-5 years old. As for my head unit I have an eclipse 5541 head unit. It looks pretty old and outdated and I'd like to get a newer one. I'd just like one that would still put out good sound and be suitable for my new amps and subs. I appreciate any help with this as I don't know alot about the car audio stuff and figured you guys would be pretty knowledgeable about this.
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

u can get pretty much any subs, check best buy they might carry some cheap ones, ur amp for the subs will work fine, 200 watts should be enough to get a lil kick out of the subs you get, u can always try to fix the sub with some silicone since u dont wanna spend a lot of money it works well i'v fixed speakers with it before and they sound just fine, might not look good but i will still sound, regarding ur HU u might wanna look at a HU that plays mp3s, the current HU u have does not have an internal amp, all the eclipse radios if im not wrong require an amp to power the 4 door speakers, newer radios have at least 15 watts rms per channel witch is pretty loud, just get a decent HU and u wont have the need to use an amp for the door speakers.

I personally have found Memphis Audio to be great. I have component sets in both the fron and rear doors powered by a Memphis Amp. I'm not sure of the specs off hand though. Everything was installed in the last 6 months though. I am currently saving up for the subs and amp. I'm looking at getting two Memphis M3s in a custom box with whatever Memphis amp the shop I go to tells me is best. The shop said I was looking at roughly $1500 for the subs, amp and box (that's with labor included.) Check into Memphis Audio though. They have alot of cheap audio equipment that sounds awesome. As for the head unit, I have a Clarion Pro Audio that I love. It never skips (even when I hit a pole with my Mustang.) I'm just rambling here but basically take a look at Memphis Audio.

screw subs!!!!! buy spindles!!!!!!!

BTW I know this man personally

I might have some extra money chris!, lol. Try listenin to constant buzz of the plastic from the sub all the time.

By the sounds of it, you're not a huge audio freak (which isn't a bad thing, honest) so have you considered just disconnecting the broken sub and leaving its friend to do your bass for you? One 10" sub will produce a decent amount of sound, if you're not mean to it. Just fix the broken plastic so it doesn't buzz, disconnect the broken sub, and use it as is...

Just a thought.

Leetz-

What is the volume of your current box? Is it sealed? Ported? Is it a common chamber? It was mentioned here to go to Best Buy and get any sub....I dont recommend this. Subs need the proper enclosure and most take different volumes.

Let me know what box you have and your budget.

ive got 2 audiobahn 12" and they sound great. they are cheap and look good with the chrome flames

Back