HELP identifying 5th shock bolts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP identifying 5th shock bolts

You recommended something (actually both things) and I recommend something else.
The good news is that my regular shop got the bolts loose for me. I'll get the bolt heads ABSOLUTELY clean because neither metric nor sae seems to be the right size :/

Road grime had probably just built up on the bolt head, but I'll get the shock changed tomorrow.

Now I've got to figure out what I'm going to do about the tortion bars since it looks like the alignment shop cranked on the bolts and raised the front end 1.25 inches from where it was before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torsion bar adjustment is easy.

Clean your bolt, use a six point socket, and you’ll be fine.

As mentioned, this isn’t a critical component. No need to go crazy with it.

It’s metric. The pitch of the metric you are trying is probably incorrect.

If you lower the front, you’ll have to get another alignment.

I think he meant he couldn’t get a socket, metric or SAE, to fit tightly on the bolt head. But I could be wrong.

Torsion bar adjustment is easy.

Clean your bolt, use a six point socket, and you’ll be fine.

As mentioned, this isn’t a critical component. No need to go crazy with it.
It shouldn't affect camber?

Here are some rough measurements I got, the first measurement is from bottom of fender to top of tire, the second measurement was from bottom of fender to ground

Left front: 5 and 1/4 inches
---32 and 7/8 inches

Left Rear: 4 inches
---31 and 6/32 inches

Right front: 4 and 1/2 inches
---32 and 5/8 inches

Right Rear: 3 1/2"
---31 inches

I'm more concerned about the front measurements than the back, just want to get it level again since it is up in the front now and don't want to affect camber and/or toe in or out

The fenders aren’t a reliable place to measure from, they don’t necessarily hang the same, especially after 20+ years. Measure the fronts from the control arms.

Why did they touch the torsion bolts at all? Shouldn’t be needed for an alignment.

The fenders aren’t a reliable place to measure from, they don’t necessarily hang the same, especially after 20+ years. Measure the fronts from the control arms.

Why did they touch the torsion bolts at all? Shouldn’t be needed for an alignment.

I'll go ahead and measure from the control arms. I'll take the cover plates for the torsion bars off again and measure the spacing with my micrometer to see if the shop touched those at all. I can visually see that the front right end is easily 1" higher than it was before, and the front left side is up as well. When I was reinstalling the torsion bars I made sure to count my turns and I used my micrometer to get back to the exact same ride height.

If I adjust the torsion bar back to level the truck do you think it would alter the alignment? I've been reading a couple of other posts and been getting mixed messages.

The alignment is affected greatly by altering the ride height, you need a new alignment every time you alter the torsion bar adjustments.

Also, the fenders(the body) do not set level perfectly when the chassis is level, minor variations are in all of them. Note that the suspension points should be made level when adjusting the torsion bars, and when the alignment is done.

Check the height from the ground, up to each front lower control arm bolt(bushing bolts). That's what should be equal side to side, to maintain equal handling left and right. I think the intended height is to have the LCA's level at ride height, which is close to what stock vehicles are. I suggest starting there, and see if that is a height you like. Just remember that the truck needs a new alignment after you settle on the best height. Regards,

Changing the ride height will absolutely change the alignment.

By easy, I meant it’s easy to turn the bolts and change the height.

Your camber will change, as previously mentioned.

I use the FSM method for setting my torsion bars prior to alignment. Some guys like to reference the fenders. Depends on what kind of guy you are: do you like to look right, or be right?

Back