• Register Today It's free!

Need Help Identifying

stkline81

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V6 OHV
I just finished replacing my head gaskets and a few other things & am not sure where these last three things go. I have a 97 OHV.

20130906_143132_zpsc0bb6519.jpg

20130906_143114_zps8918b6f8.jpg

20130906_143101_zps0cfdec8e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried hooking the item from the first 2 pics togeather?

No, but it's a hard line & I don't think they'd connect.

o ok

I did figure out that the red vacuum lines needed to be routed behind the back of the intake. Just not sure where to go after that.

The hard line (first photo) looks to be from from the vapor canister purge valve (under the battery) and should go to the throtle body. On my engine there is a white plastic retaining clip that slides to lock the line on the throttle body once attached.

The red lines should go to the vaccum resovoir that's down under the radiator hose on passenger side.

Peter

The hard line (first photo) looks to be from from the vapor canister purge valve (under the battery) and should go to the throtle body. On my engine there is a white plastic retaining clip that slides to lock the line on the throttle body once attached.

Yep...OP has the hard vacuum line routed wrong IIRC. It should be under the AC compressor, between the p/s pump and the valve covers.

pictures 1 and 2 definitely connect together, like lobo said, re-route it under the compressor to get the correct angle... vacuum line in pic 3 goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the rail..replaced the heads on My 96 ohv...had the same questions

Thanks for the help everyone! I got the Explorer running this evening! I ended up changing the oil 3 times before all the coolant was out of the oil & the smoke stopped billowing from the tailpipe. Now I have a p0340 code which I'll look into tomorrow - also the temp gage isn't reading anything & I just replaced the thermostat & coolant temp sensor one the right (mine has 2 sensors I guess). It runs smooth & I'm tagged for another year so I'm not super worried about it at this point as long as my gas mileage doesn't drop.

Make sure the connector is all the way down on the temp sensor or it won't read properly, make sure the wires to the sensors aren't reversed. Code 0340 might be that you didn't re-connect the CPS sensor wiring on the block behind the intake:

CPS.jpg

Make sure the connector is all the way down on the temp sensor or it won't read properly, make sure the wires to the sensors aren't reversed. Code 0340 might be that you didn't re-connect the CPS sensor wiring on the block behind the intake:

That was it! I don't remember unplugging it but it must have gotten pulled out when I was moving things around.
Now I'm getting an 02 sensor code (P1131) which I'm guessing might be from all the smoke I just blew through the exhaust? I think the ohv only has three 02 sensors. Anyone know if this is the one on the passenger side?

Thanks for the link! Is that bank 1 sensor 1?

yes, the bank one, sensor one is the passenger-side up-stream sensor, closest to the engine.

PS you might try to get at it through the passenger side wheel well, after you remove the covers...take a look there first, and see if you can get at it

Like I said, the o2 socket really helps, as it has a slot for the wires, especially tightening the new one on the pipe.

Good luck

Alot of times if you run it for a few days it will go away, the crap will burn off, but if you do need to replace it spray it with alot of pb ,kroil, or the like and you may need some heat, if you break it off or worse rip the pipe then life will suck for you, ask me how I know. Oh and nice to see another Delaware explorer.

I'll let it go for a couple weeks & see if it clears. I'm getting close to 220k & 2 out of 3 of the sensors are still originals. I'm still getting a 20 mpg average so I'm not too worried about it.

I snapped off one of the coolant temp sensors and replaced it with a new Motorcraft sensor. Now I'm only showing a temp of a little over 140F through the 0DB II connection & the needle doesn't move inside. I do have good heat so I know it's running right. Are both sensors on the OHV identical? Maybe I damaged the second sensor when it overheated?

Back