Help Identifying Stereo 99 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Identifying Stereo 99 Explorer XLT

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
The truck came with a crappy aftermarket stereo, and I wanted to put a slightly less crappy aftermarket stereo in, but I need help identifying what I had so I can figure out what wire harness to buy. The previous stereo just had the wires for the harness stripped part way and the stereo wires wrapped around and taped... I would prefer to have an aftermarket adapter harness, since I might possibly change to a double din Nav unit instead of the single din stereo I have... In the mean time, I would rather put my head unit in from my other truck, since it has bluetooth and looks better than the junk JVC that was in there.

Here is a pic of the harnesses I found behind the stereo.

0328121530.jpg

There doesn't appear to be a sub in the truck, and the wires were only spliced into one of the two harnesses, so I suspect that this is the correct harness. If anyone can verify that is correct, I would appreciate it.

Also, can anyone give me any information about the controls on the back of the center console from the back seat? How does that work? Is that a separate radio system, or did this integrate into the factory system somehow?

*Edit* I figured it out. Still not sure what that other harness is for, but doesn't really matter. I have my bluetooth and a clock on my dash, so that is all that really matters.

The truck came with a crappy aftermarket stereo, and I wanted to put a slightly less crappy aftermarket stereo in, but I need help identifying what I had so I can figure out what wire harness to buy. The previous stereo just had the wires for the harness stripped part way and the stereo wires wrapped around and taped... I would prefer to have an aftermarket adapter harness, since I might possibly change to a double din Nav unit instead of the single din stereo I have... In the mean time, I would rather put my head unit in from my other truck, since it has bluetooth and looks better than the junk JVC that was in there.

Here is a pic of the harnesses I found behind the stereo.

0328121530.jpg

There doesn't appear to be a sub in the truck, and the wires were only spliced into one of the two harnesses, so I suspect that this is the correct harness. If anyone can verify that is correct, I would appreciate it.

Also, can anyone give me any information about the controls on the back of the center console from the back seat? How does that work? Is that a separate radio system, or did this integrate into the factory system somehow?

*Edit* I figured it out. Still not sure what that other harness is for, but doesn't really matter. I have my bluetooth and a clock on my dash, so that is all that really matters.
The other harness is for the rear center console. Not needed unless your actually use I.e( kids with headphones). I just used a basic metra kit in my truck and tucked the other harness away.

Back