Help: Installing Line out converter 2009 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help: Installing Line out converter 2009 Explorer

JCStevens85

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Eddie Bauer
So I am looking for some information on wiring and amp to the stock head unit on a 2009 explorer. Specifically I am looking for info on how to connect the line out converter and remote wire. Also if anyone has info/pictures on how they ran their power through the firewall that would be great. If you have pictures of your installed line out converter, that would also be great, thanks for your help!

-Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do have your amp purchased yet?

If not I suggest skipping the line out converter altogether and saving yourself some trouble. Get an amp with a built in one (I believe they call it an SPL input) and all you have to do is run a wire tap off on of your rear speakers. You don't have to screw around with running an RCA cable too.

As far as a remote wire, pretty simple. Run it up from the amp, find the ignition hot wire (on only when the ignition is turned forward) and use a wire tap:
http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Splice-Connector-22-18-Gauge/dp/B003L9G6FU

Lastly, here is all the info you need on which wire does what in your explorer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204044

Good luck!

Do have your amp purchased yet?

If not I suggest skipping the line out converter altogether and saving yourself some trouble. Get an amp with a built in one (I believe they call it an SPL input) and all you have to do is run a wire tap off on of your rear speakers. You don't have to screw around with running an RCA cable too.

As far as a remote wire, pretty simple. Run it up from the amp, find the ignition hot wire (on only when the ignition is turned forward) and use a wire tap:
http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Splice-Connector-22-18-Gauge/dp/B003L9G6FU

Lastly, here is all the info you need on which wire does what in your explorer:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204044

Good luck!

I do already have my Amp and sub purchased... I am transferring them over from my old vehicle so I will just be rewiring and building a new sub box... Im good with the designing and building part... just not so good when it comes to the wiring. So, I know I will want to wire the line out converter to the rear speaker wires, I just need to know what color wires are the correct ones for those speakers. Do you know if the 2002 wiring diagram is going to be the same as the 2009? I believe it is a different head unit. Thanks for your help!

I do already have my Amp and sub purchased... I am transferring them over from my old vehicle so I will just be rewiring and building a new sub box... Im good with the designing and building part... just not so good when it comes to the wiring. So, I know I will want to wire the line out converter to the rear speaker wires, I just need to know what color wires are the correct ones for those speakers. Do you know if the 2002 wiring diagram is going to be the same as the 2009? I believe it is a different head unit. Thanks for your help!

If you're wiring it to the rear speakers just do it from the rear speakers instead of worrying about getting it all the way to the front. Less RCA to run and you will be able to see which wire is which right at the speaker.

I agree- that's what I did on my F150, and just found the same wires at the rocker panel inside the truck by the door, then spliced and ran the RCA from there.

its not that hard and i actually have a line out converter that i was going to put in my audi that im willing to sell that is still brand new cause i sold the car. its a MTX reQ 5

the hardest part is running the wires through the boot.

doing the same project i wanna run it off the audio from the stock sub but no one has any information out

doing the same project i wanna run it off the audio from the stock sub but no one has any information out

Many amps nowadays accept high inputs. If not, get a converter for high input to RCA. Connect that to the leads from the stock sub and then to the amp.
Simple and straight forward.
If it doesn't work, tap it into the door speaker.

Many amps nowadays accept high inputs. If not, get a converter for high input to RCA. Connect that to the leads from the stock sub and then to the amp.
Simple and straight forward.
If it doesn't work, tap it into the door speaker.

have you done this before

Perfect. I have a few questions. Which wires on the stock amp connected do what ? Or did you bypass that ?

Perfect. I have a few questions. Which wires on the stock amp connected do what ? Or did you bypass that ?

Firstly, do you want to hook up an amp and subwoofer to the stock head unit, or do you want to hook up a new 4 channel amp to drive the speakers.

If it's the subwoofer, you will need to find the line out for the sub that comes from the amp. Assuming you already had a factory sub, those 2 wires should be easy to find as they plug straight into the subwoofer.

Yes it's an amp and sub and yes I did have a factory amp. And yes it's the factory head unit. But all that the stock amp had was a 5 prong connector. Comming from the truck. And from there the wires go into the amp and there's no way to tell which does what. Now there's a red and black one thts clearly power. As for the rest I'm clueless.

Yes it's an amp and sub and yes I did have a factory amp. And yes it's the factory head unit. But all that the stock amp had was a 5 prong connector. Comming from the truck. And from there the wires go into the amp and there's no way to tell which does what. Now there's a red and black one thts clearly power. As for the rest I'm clueless.

Did your factory system have a subwoofer?

Yes it did come with the sub woofer

The you can easily connect a Line Output Converter to the factory wires that would go to the sub, and that'll convert it to an RCA Wire, which will go to your new amp.
Not hard at all.

Back