• Register Today It's free!

Help it still won't start

knkpatrick

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 94 XLT
I have a 94 Explorer. The other day I went out to my car and it would not start. All I got was an occasional click, it would not jump start. Had the battery tested and was told it was ok. I thought it might be the terminal connection, it was not the cleanest. I put new connectors on the cables and cleaned everything up, NO CHANGE. I replaced the starter relay, and the when I tried to start I got a steady clicking, but still did not start. Last night I changed the starter and solenoid, it still would not start on it's own, but it did start when I jumped it. I let it run for a while, but it still will not start without a jump.

Just a little background. I am not a mechanic, my uncle was a racing mechanic and believed every girl should know how to work on their own car, so he made me do all my repairs, so I know the basics, but I am very limited and have limited tools and resources.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, I was going to say that your battery might have a dead cell or something, but you said that it was tested ok. There's a possibility that it is "ok" but only just barely. Have you got a battery in another vehicle that you could temporarily swap in to test that theory?

That was my next move

I'm going to take the battery from my daughter's car and try that when I get home.

:nono:Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. Also wow! On here for a year, and just now posting again? Tsk-tsk:nono: Just kidding! Don't wait so long next time!

It's running

Thank's for your help, I tried another battery and it started up right away, so I replaced the battery and all is good, well...except for my pocketbook. If I would have just replaced that from the start, I'd be about $300.00 richer. Oh well, it's running.

Thanks for all your assistance. BTW I have posted before, but I usually just search it to find the answers I need. This site has been a big help!

Back