• Register Today It's free!

Starting problem

coreman23

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've searched and still wasn't able to determine what my issue is.

A few days ago, I went to start my explorer and nada. I jump started it and it ran just fine. After running it for a while, it never wants to start up, no noise, nothing. The radio did reset, so I figured it had to be the battery, starter, starter solenoid, or cables.

I replaced both cables and now it just clicks. I charged the battery overnight and still the same thing. The dome lights aren't dim, so I'm pretty sure the battery is ok.

Should I try the starter solenoid next?

When I replaced the positive cable, it was a pain to get the power cable to the starter, could it be that this cable isn't all the way connected to the starter?

Before the cables, I had no noise, now I have just a clicking noise. So replacing the cables was needed anyway.

It still starts if I jump start it. Would it still click if the starter motor was bad? Or would it still jump start if the starter was bad?

I'd rather replace the solenoid to see if it fixes it, it was a major pain to get to the starter motor.

I'm new to working on cars, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Do yourself a favor and have the battery bench tested at autozone or similar...I've had batteries check out ok but their cranking amps were to low and this only showed on a bench test and it's free...;)

...Do yourself a favor and have the battery bench tested at autozone or similar...I've had batteries check out ok but their cranking amps were to low and this only showed on a bench test and it's free...;)

I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!!!

If the starter proves to be good it definately sounds like a loose connection somewhere in the cables. I had the same symptoms and my cables were just loose! lol

...I replaced both cables and now it just clicks. I charged the battery overnight and still the same thing. The dome lights aren't dim, so I'm pretty sure the battery is ok.

When I replaced the positive cable, it was a pain to get the power cable to the starter, could it be that this cable isn't all the way connected to the starter?

Before the cables, I had no noise, now I have just a clicking noise. So replacing the cables was needed anyway.

It still starts if I jump start it. Would it still click if the starter motor was bad? Or would it still jump start if the starter was bad?

I'd rather replace the solenoid to see if it fixes it, it was a major pain to get to the starter motor.

I'm new to working on cars, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

You cannot use dome lights or headlights as a means to verify battery condition. It takes less than 10AMPs to power the headlights whereas the starter requires several hundred..:eek: (notice the CCA {cold cranking amps rating on the battery}) The fender mounted starter relay isn't your problem as it is sending power to the starter when being jumped. If it were bad it would never send power to the starter. Since you indicate the vehicle can be jump started it points to weak battery. As suggested by tbars4 you should bring the battery in for testing. You should also verify the battery connections are clean and not loose. Dirty & loose connections can prevent full power from reaching the starter.

I'm going to have the battery tested today.

Just so I know, if my starter is bad, can it still be jump started?

I'm going to have the battery tested today.

Just so I know, if my starter is bad, can it still be jump started?

When you turn the key from run to start a small voltage is supplied to the starter solenoid on the fender. The solenoid then internally connects the battery post wire to the starter post wire sending power to the starter which will cause it to start cranking... If your starter is dead then jumping does nothing..

...So what happened with the bench test???...:popcorn:

I didn't get a chance to get there yet. I'll update when I do.

I put in a new battery and she fired right up.

Thank you all for your help, now I need to find my oil leak issue (I think it's the valve gasket) and I'm all set. lol.

...Just curious if you did have it bench tested and what the results said, for future readers...:scratch:

...Just curious if you did have it bench tested and what the results said, for future readers...:scratch:

I took it and it was only holding like 2 volts after charging very slow for 2 days.

...:eek:...now thats a dead battery...I know you replaced both cables but be sure to have the alt bench tested now too...It is also free and can save you from being stranded this winter...My thinking is something drew your battery down over time and it may have been the alt or voltage regulator...

...I just replaced the alt and the battery in my X just for the same reason...Btw, thanks for the update..;)

...You should come out and play in the snow when we are up there this winter...:D

Glad to hear you've solved your no start problem. :thumbsup:

You should come out and play in the snow when we are up there this winter...:D

Let me know if you guys are up again, snow is my favorite wheeling. I can be your official "snow report". lol.

I just got a Samurai as a backup, but I don't know if it will be ready by the time the snow shows up.

...We have a couple guys in your area, (ritsui and boomer12), but another forecaster from Big Bear is always welcome...:biggthump

...It's just starting to rain down here so that means we are getting closer to the snow season....If you search Big Bear you will see some of our threads from this last winters fun...:D

Sounds like this issue has already been fixed, but I recently had a car that did the same thing and it turned out to be corrosion on the battery terminals...it wasn't very obvious when looking at the battery terminals but once I took them apart it was apparent what the problem was. Just some food for thought.

Sorry, I just noticed that I never updated this thread.

I ended up with new battery cables and a new battery and it's all good now.

Back