Help me determine what year 5.0 I have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help me determine what year 5.0 I have?

nonhog

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific N/W
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer sorta
Have the engine on a stand in my shop, easy enough to look at. I tried to see what the codes are by the starter but can't make it out. Even tried a rub. Looks like.....
L1SE
L19E
PT9E
P1SE

small EB?

it also has what looks like a date stamp (raised on block) of 8D 16

I was told it was a 2000 Explorer engine when I bought it from a yard. It has GTp heads, compact accessory drive, distrubutorless ignition.

Any of my possibilities tell a story or do I need to try again?
Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a fuel rail on it? Is there 1 or two line connection points? That will tell if its 99-01 or 97-98.

if it has the 3 bar gt40p heads and DIS ignition it can only come from a 97.5-01 Explorer as no other Fords were still using the 5.0 after 96...........
The short serpentine front dress and DIS ignition is unique to the 96-01 Explorer
The P heads were run from 97.5-01
As Boomin pointed out, If it has one fuel line then it is a 99-01 engine

3 wire cam sensor 98 down, 2 wire 99 up. locking plug connector on oil sender also 99 up
or even more obvious
orange fuel injectors 98, grey ( off white) 99 up

Injectors look off white to me, wonder if intake was swapped at one point. More detective work. Not feeling well so might not be today but I will check the cam sensor wires.

Big thanks to all for the tips!

Has 2 wire cam sensor, oil sensor wire has been modified for Volvo swap. Couldn't stand not knowing, who cares if the neighbors see me in my pajamas. LOL
Thanks again!

So you have a 99-01 engine with a 1998 build date.....very common for engines to be cast the year before they are sold on the lot

Back