• Register Today It's free!

help me multiple '95 issues

demon 530

Reaction score
City, State
Lake City FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95, explorer
I have a 95 explorer and my windshield wipers and speedometer and interior lights and cigarette lighter and windows stopped working I have three different gems from three different years my 95s gem was just dinging nonstop so I took the gem out of my 01 and everything was good for a year and I went and got a gem out of a96., and it made my wipers run constantly so I put the one from my 01 back in and everything was ok then the next day I went to the next town to my sister's house witch was a 60 mile round trip when I was about four miles from the house I noticed my interior lights didn't work then my window wouldn't work then I noticed my cigarette lighter didn't work either c

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome. You will find lots of help on this Forum.

I am surprised that GEMs from different years, and different models, work at all.

Good luck.

I suggest trying to make the proper 95-97 GEM work, and find the original causes for the trouble. I'm not surprised the 98-01 GEM could work in many ways. But there are plenty of differences, that it should cause issues unless you rewired many circuits.

I don't know the GEM differences, that's an upper level deal only for a rare person altering their vehicle wiring significantly.

Likely the truck has other wiring issues, check all fuses, look for any wiring damage, and verify all of the main power wires, their condition and the connections. Most odd electrical problems come from one or more of those issues, older cars have many more wiring issues due to age and heat(current in the wires). Battery cables can corrode internally just from so much current going through them, over so many years. It usually takes 15-25 years for battery cables, depending on the level of options. My old Lincoln Mark VII's are great examples, just normal usage can cause a battery cable to be bad before 15 years pass.

Lubricate all of the door latches, the hatch too, plus the hatch handle. Those kinds of things can create issues with the interior lights, as well as cause binding which will break the plastic door handles eventually, inside handles or outside.

You definitely have some other issues, wiring or relays as the lighter isn't controlled by the GEM more than having the relay powered, if it (lighter) ever powers down on a '95.

There's wiring diagrams linked in my sig below. You'll need a multimeter, and you might also want to unplug, inspect, and reconnect these two under-hood plugs:

1995 is a weird year. I’d source a matching GEM.

Back