• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! My truck is POSSESED!!

91ebexp

Reaction score
City, State
Port St. Lucie, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Ever since I purchased my truck it has been oozing this black goo from the steering wheel. It's getting everywhere! On the seat, the floor, my hands, my clothes..EVERYWHERE!!!

I've cleaned the steering wheel and seat but it just keeps coming back!! It's all over my brand new seat covers and I don't know how to get it off!!

What is it???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

91ebexp said:
Ever since I purchased my truck it has been oozing this black goo from the steering wheel. It's getting everywhere! On the seat, the floor, my hands, my clothes..EVERYWHERE!!!

I've cleaned the steering wheel and seat but it just keeps coming back!! It's all over my brand new seat covers and I don't know how to get it off!!

What is it???
Did you recently buy it? like maybe in L.A, Texas? :eek:

does it sit in the sun alot? it could be the glue that is used to sometimes glue the steering wheel wraps onto the wheel....it could be aftermarket that someone sucked ass at installing too...

I had the same problem on my '92. It's a factory issue, not aftermarket, and it's definitely heat/sun related. What I did was heat it up with a heat gun and squeeze the crap out of it onto terry cloth towels. This got the 'goo' out of it. Good luck..

Did the EB line come with leather wrapped SW? If not then someone put it on there.

I removed the leather wrap and cleaned the wheel very well. IT just keeps coming back.

I live in FL but the truck is garaged.

Are there any cracks in the wheel?

There are no cracks in the wheel that I could find.

91ebexp said:
There are no cracks in the wheel that I could find.
Wierd
If it isn't some adhesive that holds the cover in place, the wheel is not cracked to allow moisture to get to the inner steel ring and rust it, I dunno.
Maybe an Exorsism would work, not a clue

Whats funny is I took off all the leather and then cleaned the wheel with degreaser...and now it oozes worse than it ever did!!

Someone call a priest.

Interestingly enough, my '92 is doing the exact same thing. I thought it was whatever they used to pad the wheel under the covering breaking down in the sun and becoming liquid. My seemed to be coming out from the stitching. My (hopefully) cure was to get some clear nail polish and paint it on the stitching. I haven't got it 100% yet, but it certainly has slowed it down considerably. I have my fingers crossed that when I get enough coats on that it will stop all together.

I don't have the cover on there and it is still oozing. It's coming from under the cover that houses the cruise controls and horn. I put a steering wheel cover on it thinking it would keep it under it but it just covers the cover.

I'm thinking of just removing the steering wheel all together because the cruise dosn't work and putting on a grant or momo wheel.

Mine has done this for years.

I could never figure out where i was getting this imprint of black tar crap, it would look like i got forked or something with resin

steering wheel cover never hurt anyone, and it makes the first gen steering wheel feel more 'full'

Same ting with my 1992 XLT. From the sun mostly. I bought a sexy Wal-Mart steering wheel cover. Solved it all :D

I bought a sexy wal-mart cover too....just leaked out around it.

That should have been a recall!!! Ford should clean this sheeot up...not me!

FORD = Full Of Real Dookey

mines was worn down, so it was oozing and I took out the steering wheel and wrapped it with stitch leather..

mine did that for a while, i just put a cover on the wheel and wiped it off with towels a ton and it just kinda stopped after a while

I used to have a 91 EB that did the same thing. They all do around here in the 110 degree summer heat. I wrapped the wheel real tight with duct tape and then sewed a leather cover on it. Turned out real nice and it never oozed out again.

oolldd thread lol ! stuck a black leather one on mine but no ooz on mine but the leather would spin around lol ...it's gone ...seen better days... but still all together and not torn anywhere .

also if you buy a leather cover ...go to advance auto and pick up a bottle of " lexol " for $9 great stuff to keep that new cover or seats nice and new .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does the same thing, but I finally just handled it enough to force all of the glue either out or down. I can customize the steering wheel leather now to suit my grip, lol. For a while though, I just used a little steering wheel cover and it seems to work okay.

Back