Help! Need Assistance! Spark Plug Blowout! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Need Assistance! Spark Plug Blowout!

firerescue251

Reaction score
City, State
Logan Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4.0 OHV
:fire: ok, here we go. Was drivin on highway 295 a few days ago @ about 75 mph and heard a really loud explosion noise from engine followed by a loud hissing noise. I pulled over onto the high speed shoulder turned the truck off and checked the engine. I noticed a spark plug wire seemed to be loose. As i pulled on the wire, i saw it, a plug was stuck in the wire without the threads. I got a tow home, took the threaded part of the plug out of the block, replaced with a new plug and restarted the engine, it seemed to be running fine. I took a drive up to my fire department and turned it off. I did some things around the FD and about three hours later started the truck to leave. As soon as i put it reverse the rpm lowered and my engine started to idle very weird and shake uncontrolably, but as soon as i reved it and let it idle the shaking went away. I am also getting a CEL, which came on before the spark plug blow out, but I think it has something to do with the new MAC air intake i just installed. I had the codes pulled and was told they read air to lean bank 1 and bank 2. No idea what that means. The power my truck has been putting out has also been really crappy hurting to get past 80 mph. OH yeah ihave a 2000 X Sport OHV. PLEASE HELP!

did you oil your Intake filter? Anyway, spark plugs rarely blow out of these engines. What kind of plug was it.

-Drew

I had a similar problem shortly after buying my new well used '97 sport. Not the spark plug issue but the truck running crappy on start-up and power loss. When I poped the hood I realised that the intake hose wasnt completely connected to the throttlebody, must have vibrated lose some how. I reconnected the hose and made sure to tighten it down well and then reset the computer. Now the truck runs great and the CEL went off, just a thought might wanna make sure your new intake is attached securely.

yeah the spark plugs are bosch platinum and the filter came pre-oiled, will check to make sure the new intake is attached properly any other ideas. THANX GUYS!

Back