Help needed....drivetrain clanging | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed....drivetrain clanging

NedStark

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 V8 AWD
In need of assistance from a far better mechanic than I, please! I have a 97' Explorer V8 5.0 AWD. Started experiencing an insane metal clanging from underneath the vehicle. I removed the front shaft and replaced the U joint and the CV joint (the noise went away entirely when i drove it without the front shaft). The CV joint was completely destroyed by the way and I replaced the U joint simply because I had it out. Once I replaced the shaft, with the new parts, to my MASSIVE DESPAIR, the noise continued. The rear U joints look fine to me.

Am I now looking at a transfer case or a differential malfunction? There was a sort of mild metal "twinge" for a whiile before the onset of the clanging. This issue has certainly gotten the better of me and I am in need of assistance from my felow Ford brotheren......

Also, will the ongoing issue destroy the new CV joint that I just installed if I have to drive it???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In need of assistance from a far better mechanic than I, please! I have a 97' Explorer V8 5.0 AWD. Started experiencing an insane metal clanging from underneath the vehicle. I removed the front shaft and replaced the U joint and the CV joint (the noise went away entirely when i drove it without the front shaft). The CV joint was completely destroyed by the way and I replaced the U joint simply because I had it out. Once I replaced the shaft, with the new parts, to my MASSIVE DESPAIR, the noise continued. The rear U joints look fine to me.

Am I now looking at a transfer case or a differential malfunction? There was a sort of mild metal "twinge" for a whiile before the onset of the clanging. This issue has certainly gotten the better of me and I am in need of assistance from my felow Ford brotheren......

Also, will the ongoing issue destroy the new CV joint that I just installed if I have to drive it???
If it were mine, I would jack up the front end, get both sides off the ground, and see if the noise is there when you rotate the front wheels. Get a helper to do both front wheels at the same time.

it sure sounds to me like your transfer case is shot. And yes, driving with it will destroy your new front drive shaft cv joint.

It is possible that your front diff is bad as well. I blew one because of the case failure.

Read this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375470

Thank you!!

it sure sounds to me like your transfer case is shot. And yes, driving with it will destroy your new front drive shaft cv joint.

It is possible that your front diff is bad as well. I blew one because of the case failure.

Read this thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375470

I cannot express to you how grateful I am that you wrote me back! Goes to show what I know, I did not even know there was a front differential. So, I am going to take out the front shaft again containing the U and CV joints that I installed. Until I can figure out the real problem. Let's say that it is the transfer case is that something as simple as a new chain or is it a complete re-modification of it?

the awd transfer case can be rebuilt, but for me, I wouldn't bother. Read the last 2 posts on that thread. The inside of it is what they call a "viscous coupling." in a lot of ways its like the torque converter on the front of the transmission. They like to fail around 100,000 to 150,000 miles. Do a little searching around on the forums and there is story after story of the awd case going out.

Also, like I said in there, I wouldn't trust a used awd transfercase.

I ended up doing the 4406 swap, and I've never been happier.
Search "4406 swap" and start reading.

Back